·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi to all, while doing a triple job on my 2005 2.0:

- t-stat replacement
- PSM replacement
- serpentine belt replacement

i accidently broke a brittle power steering pump connector. Too bad as the t-stat has been installed quite easily with the p/s pump out of the way. I choose that approach because i intented to replace the belt too.

Question: how and what do i need to replace? See pics.

Thanks!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Thats what it looks like...Its speeds the motor up some at idle when turning the s/w.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
A little digging got me thinking its the pressure switch/sensor. Right?
Yes. In my 2004 book, it is called the power steering pressure sensor. I have no experience with that sensor or that broken part, so I can not help you much further. Can you tread-out the broken part from the hose assembly? -this requires unique skills and techniques. -and then other questions about the replacement part availability. I think & I fear that you may need to purchase the entire hose assembly; as opposed to fixing the old sensor fitment.

I do like your LARGE resolution picture: once zoomed-in, we can see an IC chip floating deep inside there, -because of the break & damage. Strange and funny that an IC chip is seen inside that port. Thank you for sharing your photo.

Thats what it looks like...Its speeds the motor up some at idle when turning the s/w.
I never knew (or thought about it) that existed, but I do agree that the PCM will/should adjust the engine RPM when steering wheel (s/w) changes happen, especially at engine idle. Thank you Felix.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you look on the bottom side of that broken sensor, you should see it's meant to take a wrench to take the sensor off the line. If you replace the sensor, you won't have to replace the line itself.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Unless Ford has unitized the line to include the pressure sensor too to increase parts sales like they do so much now.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Always good to see a fix, and an easy + cheap fix too.

Another save from car junkyard parts. Congrats!

I was worried that the old piece would be stuck inside there, because a chunk of the top portion was broken off,... making it more difficult to thread-it-out. However you did it, -good job man.

Thanks for sharing the lesson.

Cheers!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am the OP. I am quite pleased because i an in no means a pro mecanic, but i do love working on cars, i find it therapeuthic.... Reminds me of the ol' days with my Porsche 914/4 into which i transplanted (myself) a 911/6 engine, boy that was a blast: the car and the transplant!

That broken connector on the p/s Focus is because i decided to slide out the p/s pump, getting me more space to work on my 3-parts job: serpentine belt, psm and thermostat.

In the end, i have heat (finally) and the rumbling is gone. Engine mount does its job.

Next task: getting rid of the CEL because a P2004 (Intake manifold control stuck open).

Thanks to all for helping.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I am the OP. I am quite pleased because i an in no means a pro mecanic, but i do love working on cars, i find it therapeuthic.... Reminds me of the ol' days with my Porsche 914/4 into which i transplanted (myself) a 911/6 engine, boy that was a blast: the car and the transplant!

That broken connector on the p/s Focus is because i decided to slide out the p/s pump, getting me more space to work on my 3-parts job: serpentine belt, psm and thermostat.

In the end, i have heat (finally) and the rumbling is gone. Engine mount does its job.

Next task: getting rid of the CEL because a P2004 (Intake manifold control stuck open).

Thanks to all for helping.
Since I am planning on the same repair on my 2005 using your instructions from the other thread (AMRiley23 OP) how do I avoid the problem you encountered?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The problem was caused by my inability to separate the connector cable from the p/s pressure switch, going too hard with my pliers. If you take your time you should be able to unplug that smoothly.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The problem was caused by my inability to separate the connector cable from the p/s pressure switch, going too hard with my pliers. If you take your time you should be able to unplug that smoothly.
OK thanks!

Do you think the P2004 is due to a vacuum issue or a mechanical/linkage issue?

Paul

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Paul, can be all of this. All my readings lean toward:

- bad solenoid (rarely)
- bac vaccums lines (most of the time)
- defective/stuck actuator (usually because of bad vaccums)
- defective linkage in manifold (very rarely)

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Hi Paul, can be all of this. All my readings lean toward:

- bad solenoid (rarely)
- bac vaccums lines (most of the time)
- defective/stuck actuator (usually because of bad vaccums)
- defective linkage in manifold (very rarely)
I helped a friend with that problem on an 05 a couple years ago. I could not find a vac hose crack until immediately after I removed the solenoid, only then did the cracked hose jump out and bite me. Crack was only an inch or two away from the solenoid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts