Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my pressure line is leaking all over the belt and causing it to not to turn the pullies the way it should. i filled up the reserve to the max about 6pm and then at 10pm left to go to work and half way to work which is 5 miles it's back to no fluid left. when i got to work that's when i noticed that it was empty. oh yay what fun. if anybody on here knows what i should do please let me know asap. also how hard is it to replace the pressure line to the power steering pump or the lines from the reserve to the pump. i know the pump is working cause i had the car running and popped the hood and looked down in it and could hear all kinds of noise. also if any body lives near louisville, ky and wants to make some extra money let me know. i will pay to have it fixed asap. thanks any help would be great. thanks again and have a great day, rusty

·
Registered
353 Posts
first thing ... make sure you are using mercon V ... mine kept puking it all over the place if it wasnt anything but mercon V transmission fluid ... but if you are using that ... you might have a bigger problem ... good luck

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well when i put it in the first place it was all gone. so i am guessing i have a leak somewhere. i just don't know where and have no where to work on it. and the best thing is i have to have this done TODAY!! my wife works on thursday and we are supposed to be getting something like 2-5 inches of snow. so i need to get this done like yesterday fast.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
yeah either a leak at the pump, the lines or the steering rack. but If you keep running it dry you will have to buy a new pump also. I feel for ya, It`s going to snow in STL again also. Get it to a local shop and get it fixed. Usually it is a do it your self job. But out side in this cold, bite the bullet and take it in...

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
first thing ... make sure you are using mercon V
Just wanted to make a slight correction...We use just Mercon ATF fluid in the power steering, not Mercon V (I say this because I almost bought Mercon V this weekend for my PS but checked the owners manual and it says Mercon ATF). Mercon V is used for the automatic transmissions.

2000 Focus Owners Manual

^Page 253-254

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Just wanted to make a slight correction...We use just Mercon ATF fluid in the power steering, not Mercon V (I say this because I almost bought Mercon V this weekend for my PS but checked the owners manual and it says Mercon ATF). Mercon V is used for the automatic transmissions.

2000 Focus Owners Manual

^Page 253-254
Well its all Auto Trans Fluid. Hence ATF . The V or 5 is the latest version. But you are correct. Put in what the manual says to..

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Well its all Auto Trans Fluid. Hence ATF .
This is true. But I believe the characteristics of Mercon V are different from that of Mercon.

Just wanted to make sure the OP had the correct info [thumb]

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i got it fixed. it wasn't anything big. if you look on the side of a power steering pump from the exhaust side there is a small sensor. it's the power steering pump pressure sensor. well that is what was leaking. i before i saw that i did buy the pressure line. but i had to drive about 60-70 miles one way to get the part but no biggie. i decided to keep the pressure line and goin to replace it soon cause it's looking kinda bad. but as of right now its back to working order. yay.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Thats good. Thanks for the update. Yeah the power steering pressure sensor is a known problem. I just did mine like 2 months ago. But I did have the 2 white dots, not the 2 blue dots that the manual called for. (I cant remember if it was the other way around on the color). So I just took it with me ...There are a couple different ones...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dots? what are you talking about?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
on the pressure switch itself will be 2 dots . Either blue or white. I guess thats how they tell which on it is. There were a couple different pumps installed on our cars. Thus 2 different size pressure switches. When I went to the local Ford dealer he asked me what color dots it had. IDK why , you would think a part # would help....

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they never asked me or even looked at my old one.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea well also on my 00 the tps can't be changed out. you have to change out the whole tb with the tps already on it from the fac.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts