Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Tom,

In light of my recent power steering problems, the profuse leaking coming form the lines; how can I eliminate the powers steering overall? Is there anything that can be done in order to get rid of the PS system and its pulley safe?
Please let me know, Thnx.
Rich

·
FF Affiliate
31,093 Posts
If you take the PS off that car I will come down there and kick your butt my self ! It cant cost that much to just fix it , worst case it needs a new or rebuilt rack

Tom

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^[werd]
Let alone, you better have some real strong arms if you dump the PS pump.
Turning will be a mega beeotch without the PS unless you can somehow find a manual rack to swap in, which isn't likely at all.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Rich keep the ps were not as light as hondas and even in them its super hard at low speeds

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, ok...i wont take it off lol. Goosshh!!

So, I guess i should focus in finding a rack, huh? fiinee.....Will have to get to that then....
Thnx

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
to answer the question though, it can be done, u just have to reroute the serpentine.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have any good leads on any rack n pinion for sale at a bargain price?
RIch

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Good luck finding one, and ouch you got scolded by Tom.....shame shame!

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
ya i got a lead, they have great customer service and a cheap price but it has taken me nearly 2 months to get a good rack out of em.

search for ebay user garo steering and suspension parts

they are located in florida somewhere.

first time i got a rack the lines were damaged in shipment, so they sent me brand new lines. Then i got the old one out of my car, put that one in, and come to find out the bolt hole that holds the plate that holds the pressure line into the rack was completely stripped out in the rack. On top of that the boots were misaligned for the breather tube. So I put my old rack back in, sent that POS back, and my new rack theyre sending now has a UPS tracking number that says ill get it next week.

they havent charged me anything on top of the original cost yet so they are really good at standing behind their parts. But OMG they sure do take their sweet ass time. Purchased Nov 2nd still dont have a working rack in my possession.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Look into how the Honda guys are using the PS rack without the pump. Its on their honda tech forum or somewhere...can't remember exactly.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
The steering "system" in a PS car isnt meant to be run without the pump, you can end up breaking stuff like the steering shaft.. which could be bad.

Racks that are set up as manual steering are usually made heavier than power racks.

·
FF Affiliate
31,093 Posts
There are 3 Foci right now being parted out in the for sale section contact one of them they would have to be dirt cheap unless they guaranteed them to not leak and work right , the rack is very easy to change on these with a lift

Tom

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
some cars are really easy to steer that dont have ps.
Thats what I have seen on some hatchies, mostly hondas; I have a jeep wrangler for daily driving, so I was thinking bout it but I guess not....going to check out come prices. Will post some up for future references.
Thnx
Rich

1 - 14 of 14 Posts