Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,612 Posts
Hmmmm....

They usually don't "leak" fluid from the cap. Fluid gets pushed out.

If your fluid is foaming, then you have a leak on the suction side of the system that is allowing air to be drawn in.

Check the suction hose between the reservoir and pump first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I looked at it yesterday the fluid was foamy. But I dont know where to look for a hose between the reservoir and the pump. The reservoir sits right on top of the pump as far as I can tell, no hose between.

The fluid is defiantly coming out of the cap though. I wiped it clean and it comes back after one trip.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The reservoir sits right on top of the pump as far as I can tell, no hose between.
Then there must be a direct connection between the two that is sealed with an o-ring.

Air can only be drawn into the system on the suction side. Connections between reservoir and pump, or seals within the pump are really the only possibilities.

The cap is not air tight and will allow fluid to leak if the system is foaming, but that is not a fault of the cap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok i did some more searching and found this http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507082. I think this what you were talking about and this is prob what is wrong.

I also did some looking at the car there is only one hose that comes out of the bottom of the reservoir that I can see. This video gives a pretty good look at the same year( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyOy35qSJWM ) around 1:00 - 1:10 in the video.

The hose is held on by a metal clamp and has a plastic sheathing around it.

Is that the hose I need to replace? what does the hose attach to on the other side that I cant see?

Also where can I buy that hose from I cant seam to find anything on rockauto or autozone?

Thanks for the reply focusknot

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
It looks like the only hose on the 2007 reservoir is the return hose, so that would not be the cause of the foam.

The 2007 connects to the pump on the suction side...no hose.

I see that Autozone (probably others too) carries a seal kit for the P/S pump, so that should include the o-ring that is on the suction side of the reservoir. Could be that all you need is that o-ring, or you may need the entire kit to solve the air leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts