Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an SVT focus, I know I'm in mk1 tech, figured I could broaden my search here since the system is basically the same other than the pump.
Anyways I rebuilt my engine. Before I tore it down the power steering was working just fine other than a small leak on the high pressure line.. well I got the engine done and everything buttoned up. When I went to drive the car no power steering at all.
Fluid reservoir has stayed full
No whines or leaks
It's a self bleeding system, I jacked the car up went through the wheel turning process twice and drove it some and still nothing.
I posted on the Facebook page but not much help there.
Idk if the pump just went bad while it was sitting or some how got a little bit of trash inside it. Or there's a lot of air trapped that won't come out.
I done a quick search on here and didn't see anything.
Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't change a line, I left the line connected to the rack and disconnected it from the pump and removed the pump from the engine.

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
Look at the work then, maybe trash in the fitting, there is a bypass valve there somewhere that sticking even a little then no pressure.

My last post concerned those who change to a custom line and the fitting used often does the same thing and no pressure.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
possible flipped line? pressure line on return?

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
The bypass fits right under the outlet pressure line off pump, anything disturbing the exact fit there can make a bypass leak and no pressure. The aftermarket offending fittings change the position of the valve only a few thousandths and an instant no pressure condition then. Trash could do the same.

Can't swap lines, they are vastly different to stop that. One is simple hose and the other a metal fitting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts