Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is in the right section.

I drive a 2003 ford focus estate , 1.8 diesel cl.

Now for a while now I have experienced intermittent problems with my steering. The steering becomes heavy and I also notice that my pads , particuarly my brake pad becomes alot stiffer than usual. Overall the car just becomes horrible to drive. Usually after say a day or so this problem disappears and the car reverts to normal. This time however the steering is heavier and worse than usual , even pulling to one side. The brake is becoming really stiff also. I have ruled out tracking , balancing etc. The power steering fluid was only halfway between minimum and maximum so I have topped it up but still the same. I have had an ex mechanic have a quick look and he seems to think it maybe something to do with either the power steering pump or possibly the belt. Though he says from quick glance the belt looks in decent order. He did notice that there appeared to be some splashes of oil in the area around the power steering fluid container.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what the problem is ? I'm sure this can be pinpointed with the connection between the steering becoming heavy and also the braking becoming heavy at the sametime. Not being very mechanical though it's all a mystery to me.

Would very much appreciate any help.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Stiff brakes and pulling, sounds like a brake caliper may be sticking. When was the last time you did brakes in the front? Did you remember to grease the slide pins?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks i'm seeing a mechanic pal of mine today. He mentioned it could be the caliper. Last time the brakes were done i'm not sure if they were greased. Could be the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts