Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone had the same problem i am having ... i have a 2000 zx3 and its spitting power steering fluid everywhere ... but when me and my dad who is a mechanic investigate we dont find a leak or anything ... i have seen it blow out the cap and idk why ... the cap has the oring and everything ... no leaks in the lines and its kind of a slow problem ... it takes about a week of driving from full to be empty and not be able to steer easily ... if anyone has had this problem or knows how to fix it please lemme know ... thanks all

--eric--

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody?

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
I dont know what to tell ya--- but mine was leaking through the actual pump and it had to be replaced(under warranty) about a month ago-- had no idea that it was leaking-- so other than that Good luck

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
this may or may not work depending on the leak, lucas power steering stop leak fluid, i used it in my old taurus that has a steering wine, and small leak and a half a bottle solved the problem, it should only be around $10 and your local auto parts store might be worth the money

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its not really a leak ... just i do know that it backflows into the resivoir and blows it out the cap from all i see ... my dad said possibility that i need a "special fluid" or somethin

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I had this problem with a old tempo and I never was able to fix it. The fluid would get air in it and come out of the cap- just like what you're talking about. I thought the pump was bad and pulling air in around the shaft seal, but everybody I asked said no. So might there be a suction leak somewhere else? I think even the low pressure side of the system is under a little bit of pressure, so even there, fluid would leak out before air leaked in. I just keep comming beck to that pump pulling air in somehow and spinning up foam. What else can it be????

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Dont know if you knew this, probably did since your dad is a mechanic, but the focus power steering takes ATF.

THought I would just throw that out there...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont know if you knew this, probably did since your dad is a mechanic, but the focus power steering takes ATF.

THought I would just throw that out there...
yeah he did mention atf works too ... he just brought a bottle of like mercon 5 atf home made special for the focus trans so im guessin wth ill try it thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts