Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi people, Im new to this forum so a big hello to all. just have a quick question.
the power steering switch on my 07 focus started leaking today. upon further inspection, I noticed it was coming from inside the connector block. having removed this connector I saw that there was a small hole inside the connection block which was leaving fluid squirt out. is this normal and if so what is the purpose of it and is there any way of fixing this leak or do I need to buy a new switch. thanks to anyone who can help.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
The power steering pressure switch usually leaks around the mounting O-ring although it can leak through the center diaphram if it fails completely. The switch's purpose is to monitor ps fluid pressure and signal the PCM (via an electrical circuit) to bump up the idle speed when the wheel is turned hard over (a situation that generates a high ps pressure) so that the engine doesn't stall during low speed manouvers.
The usual remedy for a leaking switch is to simply replace the switch and O-ring which are generally sold as a set. ps systems generally have very high working pressures so it's not uncommon for them to leak or weep on older, hiigh mileage vehicles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much for your help. I Think Ill just replace entire switch to be sure. one would think that there would be a fail safe on these things to prevent entire loss of fluid, but anyway thanks again.

·
Registered
18,681 Posts
Change switch, you do not have the ability to repair it. Diaphragm has failed meaning besides leaking it's not reading correctly any more.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,474 Posts
My 2000 PS switch is leaking, I was informed the entire pump has to be removed to replace this, is this true? I see it is in a precarious spot (under the pump) so is difficult to get to any ideas?
Have a peek at the OP's answer & others.......

·
Registered
1 Posts
The power steering pressure switch usually leaks around the mounting O-ring although it can leak through the center diaphram if it fails completely. The switch's purpose is to monitor ps fluid pressure and signal the PCM (via an electrical circuit) to bump up the idle speed when the wheel is turned hard over (a situation that generates a high ps pressure) so that the engine doesn't stall during low speed manouvers.
The usual remedy for a leaking switch is to simply replace the switch and O-ring which are generally sold as a set. ps systems generally have very high working pressures so it's not uncommon for them to leak or weep on older, hiigh mileage vehicles.

I just changed my pressure switch on my 2006 kia sportage but its spraying fluid out when I turn my wheels but I also replaced my power steering pump as well how to the problem of it spaying when turn wheels..please n thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.