Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was changing the lower radiator hose on my 2002 ZX3 and noticed this pigtail hanging in the air. I got this car used early in 2013 so it must have been hanging there all this time. I looked around and noticed a connector on the PS pump that fits this pigtail, then I got on this forum and learned what that switch does- it raises the idle when the power steering pump is under load, so the engine won't stall. Sounded like a good thing, so I reconnected the pigtail.
Well, it works but in a way I didn't expect. What happened was that it actually LOWERED my idle. Then when I turn the steering hard, it raises it back to where it was in the first place. But my 'new' no-load idle speed is too low! The car shudders and almost dies. My previous idle speed was perfect. So... the question is whether I can retrain the car to go back to the former idle speed even though the Power Steering switch is connected, and then idle up a little when the PS pressure goes up? If I can make that happen, this seems like a good feature. But if I'm stuck with this too-low idle, I will disconnect the pigtail as someone else obviously did before me.
I don't have a good way to measure the idle accurately but by estimating the markings on the tach, my old (good) idle speed was around 750-800. With the PS switch connected, it goes down some but I can't really guess how much. Just enough to bother me sitting at a light and the whole car shudders.
Next, how to retrain the idle? I heard that disconnecting the IAC and letting it die, then restarting and reconnecting the IAC was one way.
Anyone know if I can get back to my good old idle with the PS switch connected?
Thanks in advance, and sorry it's so wordy.
Littlejohn

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That's not nice!

You can give the whole system a "reset" for quicker start from scratch learning by disconnecting the battery negative for a while, when first restarted learning idle again is one of the many things it is supposed to do.

There's always a chance that some other problem causing the low idle has been masked by detaching that connector, that'll take a bit more searching to figure out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Sailor. I'll try the system reset. Can't hurt. Maybe it'll solve it. Besides, it's worth it to find out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts