Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday I happened to park in between two buildings and when I was pulling out I happened to have my window down and I noticed my power steering was making some noise. It sounded like the pump was low on fluid, which I though was very odd. I popped the hood and didn't notice any fluid, it only made noise when I was turning sharp at parking lot speeds.

Fast forward to this morning and the pump is making noticeable noise in the interior, even when going straight. I got to a gas station and popped the hood - I could see the bottom of the reservoir [scratch] I park on a gravel driveway and in a parking ramp at work, so needless to say I haven't noticed any fluids leaking.

Has anyone else ran into any power steering issues? The car is under warranty and I hope to hear from the dealer soon, I wonder where the fluid is leaking from...

Kyle

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Has anyone else ran into any power steering issues? The car is under warranty and I hope to hear from the dealer soon, I wonder where the fluid is leaking from...

Kyle
Hi Kyle,

I'm glad you brought your Focus in to the dealer for diagnosis. They will be in the best position to determine the cause of your power steering issue. If they are unable to resolve it, please let me know. Hope your Focus is back on the road soon!

~Natasha

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I'll update this thread as I find out what happens.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dropped off at the dealer, Ford covered a rental car and Enterprise gave me a 2011 Cadillac SRX. Hopefully this is covered under the powertrain warranty... Probably not though- I'm thinking I'm just going to ignore that I've got a warranty from here on out and just do the work myself...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup - as suspected I'm not covered by anything, the found a leaky high pressure power steering line and they want to fix it at the tune of $690....

[rant][rant][rant] [gunfire][gunfire][gunfire]

There I feel better - but just a little.

I'll swing by Tousley Ford and get the part and now I've got another project on my hands... Thankfully we have Steve -

I talked to the tech and Steve and I was reminded of my similar issue I had when I replaced the power steering pump on my 3L Contour SVT. The high pressure line leaked and the line was very expensive and hard to replace. I came up with the solution in post #18 and it's been leak free ever since, for quite a few people too!

So instead of $690 to repair the car, I'm going to have to spend ~$5 on fitting F5RZ-3R608-B and be on my way.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The leak is by the rack - the fitting is tight but leaking... I'll call Steve and find out of the same style fitting is on that end. If so I can perform the same fix there...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts