Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a fairly substantial power steering leak. I cant tell where it is leaking from, but it looks like the puddle is begining under the resivoir and running down the motor and dripping of the splash guard under the accessory drive and the control arm. Has anyone else had this problem? Where was the leak at on yours? I cant find my leak. By judging what is under the car and running down the motor, I have lost a good deal of fluid. BUt the resivoir is still fairly full. Not worried about it, but would like to fix it before it become a problem and burns up my pump. Anyone else dealt with this?

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just remembered that I should have searched first, will do that now. SOrry if this subject is beaten to death.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just finished my search, didnt find much info. What little I did find is that a lot of the problems others are having are pinhole cracks in the lines. I dont think I have that, but I will double check. I ran a paper towel under the lines and it came out clean. Granted, I didnt check very well, everything was still very hot. Its cooled a little so I will go check again.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, real lively group on the forums tonight lol. How about a more simple question: Is it true the focus runs ATF for power steering fluid? Heres another one: How much is a new pump from ford?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
yes, the focus runs mercon equivalent ATF for power steering. I have a HUGE leak in mine, its on the drivers side and I was told it was a 250 dollar part and 3 hours of labor!!! i'll see if I can find the invoice. Right now, I go through 2 bottles of ATF a month!! not cheap stuff either!!

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not worried about labor cost, I do all my own work, but $250 for a damn pump!?!?!? I will rebuild my old pump before I pay that much!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I bought a pump form carquest for $75 without the pully and it took about an hr and a half it's a a1 cardone pump you'll also need to get the teflon o-ring that goes onto the pressure line from ford they'r like $0.50 or something, since they get destroyed everytime the pressure fitting is removed. I the pump number is 20297 for a standard zetec focus and the SVT like mine took another pump but looks the same and the part # for that is 20319. The pump really isn't that hard except for the pressure fitting that sit nicely between the pulley and the housing and you got minimal room to work on it, but it can be done fairly easily.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can do $75. I may be able to hit a junkyard this weekend too.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
That works but I would just get a new pump since you might be getting another bad pump or a pump that will only last a bit then you'll have to remove and warranty it out for another used pump. At least with a new pump if it fails you got a better warranty and also you know that it shouldn't leak very soon. Also one thing I noticed about reman'd pumps is the plug for the pressure valve on the pump usually isn't tightened enough from the manufacturer and mine leaked a few days later from there right after I steamed cleaned my engine bay to get all the power steering fluid out of the engine bay.[?|]

·
Registered
16,573 Posts
Unless you know for sure pump is bad, it's a bad idea to change pump for a leak, lines are generally what leak first.

Very funny that you would 'rebuild the pump' yourself but apparently can't even find the leak by earlier posts. Really made my day.

To others running vast amounts of fluid instead of fixing your problem. ANY cheap ATX fluid will work in that situation. I've been doing the wrong fluids in power steering units for many years............no trouble at all. Mix them all you want. They originally all used Chrysler ATX fluid for ALL power steering units ever made back in the '60s. Pretty much now the dealers use whatever ATX fluid they have in the shop for current cars as power steering fluid.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The lines to the rack are usually what go bad and by the time you notice the rack is trashed I've done them on my foci and friends
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
16,573 Posts
Well someone just slap me back awake.

To doorspi, can't imagine how you trash rack like that, about only way they go bad is running longer term with no fluid. That would be making all kinds of racket. Meaning rack should be OK unless was abused.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts