Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if we've got the same steering as other Foci, but assuming we don't I just thought I'd post in here...

My power steering has suddenly decided to start drinking fluid- I've put more in twice now, up to the 'max' level to make it easy to see any changes, and once again it's down below halfway between max and min.

I have no idea what's going on because there's no leaking that I can see, and the steering wheel is getting harder to turn and the power steering motor more audible. Any ideas as to what this is? I know the warranty will cover it, I'm just wondering how big of a deal it might be.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
check out the steering rack. ford cars sometimes blow out the seals in the rack and it fills up the bellows boots around the inner tie rods. if that's the case, you'll need a new steering rack

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
^^^ what he said^^^

You can usually just squeeze the boot (bellows boot, not CV boot) and feel if there is fluid trapped in there.. be sure to check both sides, cause it may only be leaking on one side.

If you have fluid in there it will feel squishy and slide around the inner tie rod 'bulb' very easily

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
crazymechanic said:
check out the steering rack. ford cars sometimes blow out the seals in the rack and it fills up the bellows boots around the inner tie rods. if that's the case, you'll need a new steering rack
Ugh... that's both good and bad info to know. [:D] Good in the sense that I know what to look for if I start to have the same symptoms, bad in the sense that a Ford technician says Ford cars do that with enough frequency that it's something to check. A steering rack replacement is not a cheap endeavour.

svt4chris good thing you are still under warranty. I'd buy that Infiniti G35 while you still have a chance. [;)]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts