Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a streak of bad luck with my focus. I developed a bad power steering leak at the pressure sending unit. I heard the pump getting loud so i refilled once. Then again the next day. I got the pressure switch installed and filled it back up then the Serp belt snapped. I figured i seized the pump but it ended up being the belt tensioner [?|].

I fixed the tensioner and got it back on the road and have been driving it for like a week now and today in parking lots i started hearing a rubbery noise when i turned the wheel coming from under the dash or from the rack. Its a whine like noise kind of like rubber is rubbing on something.

The pump is still quiet so i dont think i ruined it. Is it possible i just need to bleed the rack, or could it be damaged ? Steering still works fine maybe slightly tighter in parking lots but i could be imagining it.
-Adam

2002 zx3 Ztec. 186k and counting.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Rack is self-bleeding, when CHANGING fluid some folks jack up the car & turn the steering back & forth to help flush out old fluid when replacing with new.

Since you are driving it, and the fluid level is now correct, it's "bled" itself by this time...

Turning at EXTREMELY low speeds, or when NOT moving will tend to result in "different" noises from ANY power steering car

It's POSSIBLE that you are now a bit over sensitive to noises after all the previous issues...

Unless the noise gets louder, or you notice it while DRIVING, I'd leave "well enough" alone - since replacing a rack can get expensive & time consuming just to chase a noise....

Keep an eye on things for sure, look for any signs of issues (leaking, rubbing, something out of place in that area) - but don't worry TOO much about it!

Luck!

·
Registered
505 Posts
What color is the fluid? I replaced mine a year and some change ago and its brown and my pump was noisy-ish. Replace the fluid and see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
116 Posts
ford focus uses mercron atf for power steering if im correct what fluid did you use?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used power steering fluid. Which i believe is Mercon without the red coloring.

The fluid has technically been changed seeing that i drained the pump when i pulled out the pressure switch. Granted it didnt change what was still down in the rack. But it emptied out 2 times and was replaced with fresh. It does still look a little bit dark however.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rack is self-bleeding, when CHANGING fluid some folks jack up the car & turn the steering back & forth to help flush out old fluid when replacing with new.

Since you are driving it, and the fluid level is now correct, it's "bled" itself by this time...

Turning at EXTREMELY low speeds, or when NOT moving will tend to result in "different" noises from ANY power steering car

It's POSSIBLE that you are now a bit over sensitive to noises after all the previous issues...

Unless the noise gets louder, or you notice it while DRIVING, I'd leave "well enough" alone - since replacing a rack can get expensive & time consuming just to chase a noise....

Keep an eye on things for sure, look for any signs of issues (leaking, rubbing, something out of place in that area) - but don't worry TOO much about it!

Luck!

This noise was never there before. Im sure of it, i can feel it in the wheel when im turning in a parking lot. Im gonna check for rubbing today.

Id rather change the rack then be stranded if it decides to start leaking. Im pretty sure all i have to is drop the front subframe. Which is a pain but shouldnt take me more then an afternoon.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im also going to take a look at the tensioner...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Ford Mercon V Automatic transmission & power steering fluid is the proper fill for the power steering.

There have been MANY reports on this site of issues INCLUDING unusual noises when OTHER fluids were used.

Jack up the front end, remove the return line from the power steering reservoir and stick it in a catch pan, then run the car adding fluid as needed while turning the wheel back & forth to "flush" the system, refilling with the proper fluid.

This MAY solve the issue, assuming no damage done by running low & using the wrong fluid....

Luck!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flushed with mercon V. Also noticed the car only does this when it warms up. Seemed to help a but but the noise is still there. Its in or around the rack.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Try an appropriate amount of Lubegard additive. Used for auto trans...but since this is ATF...why not. I use it where ever ATF is called for in PS systems. Found at NAPA. Endorsed by thousands of grease monkeys.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Now that the flush is done, all I can recommend is to drive it & see what happens in the long term...

Unless it gets LOUD, with a major increase in noise over time, it's just a bit of extra "character" for the car....

A BIT of "groaning" at high load on a power steering system isn't THAT unusual, even if these aren't noted for it....

Bottom line - it AIN'T worth replacing a rack to chase a minor noise..... 'TILL you've got a REAL issue with it not working properly....

Luck!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try an appropriate amount of Lubegard additive. Used for auto trans...but since this is ATF...why not. I use it where ever ATF is called for in PS systems. Found at NAPA. Endorsed by thousands of grease monkeys.
If you need to put additives in your car, there is an issue.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything is good thanks for your input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts