Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now how to flush it threw the power steering pump but I'm wanting to due a more through flush which included flushing out the rack and pinion so I was thinking I could remove one of the power steering lines on the rack it with both front wheels off the ground and turn the wheels side to side until I got almost all of the fluid out but I wasn't really for sure if that was the best way to go or not so I thought I would ask everyone here what is the best was to due almost a complete emptying of the power steering system to add new fluid due to the fluid in mine is starting to get really dark so I know its due to be changed out. Any and all info and advice will be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
17,179 Posts
Yes it can work BUUUUTTT............the biggest problem is it will run dry in as little as 20 seconds. In that time you need to move the rack from one extreme to the other twice to shove it all out. The pump once it runs out of fluid will begin to scar the pumping rotor in say the 20 seconds it runs dry and how you tear the pump up to make noise. BTDT.

SOOOOOOOOO............two people to do it, one in car runs the rack left right left right QUICK BUT NOT hitting the end stops real hard. Other guy outside says when to kill engine and as soon as fluid quits running out. Then, fill up reservoir when refilling and BEFORE you restart engine, two people again and have open a couple bottles of fluid to again fill reservoir as fast as pump eats the fluid. Idea being to avoid eating any air at all, it makes getting air in the fluid much less possible.

Do it your way but doing that pretty much guarantees the pump is not damaged, many do not and then complain about whining. Give some thought to if you would change engine oil the same way and what happens if the oil pump runs dry, the same thing happens to a power steering pump.

Air in power steering to make noise typically happens when people are way too slow about refilling the reservoir, they grind lots of air into the fluid and then it takes forever to get it out. We are geared to think more fluid will shut up the whine but often it doesn't, ergo, pump damage.

Once reservoir is full work rack both ways a couple times, shut off engine and let car sit for 30 minutes to deaerate fluid in the reservoir, I leave the cap off. Then start engine up again and rack side to side fully again to expose more fluid to air and let sit another 30. After twice I never have any noise at all and drive the wheels off it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts