Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed today on my way back from work at an intersection if I turn the wheel a bit the car whines a bit but after turning and going down the street the noise went away. I got home and tried the same thing but it didn't make the low pitched whine noise again. But it definitely affected my idle and it seems to make the car work and drop in idle a bit.

I opened the hood and checked my PS Reservoir and I see that there seems to have been a recent drop in fluid. I can see the reddish pink stain line near the top of the tank and now the line sits a tad below the MIN line

Any ideas of what happened? What fluid can I use to top off? some ATF? I have some Mobil1 ATF and Royal Purple ATF sitting around in my porch or do I actually need PS Fluid

btw I have 52522 miles

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Use Motorcraft (Ford) mercon fluid for the P.S. - Others have been known to cause issues...

AND it's time to start looking for the leak....

Low fluid at rest could be REAL low in use 7 result in that "whine", so fix the "obvious" first & THEN see what happens....

Luck!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Is there a write up somewhere on changing the power steeriing pump?? I think mine is leaking from the bottom. Looks like the header may need to come off to get any kind of room/hand in there.....

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okie doke motorcraft for top off then.
I don't think its leaking since I don't have a puddle under the car at the two spots I park in (driveway and work) I checked around the engine bay to see if its spraying from a hose somewhere but that seems ok too. The engine bay is all clean and detailed just like before with a bit of sand sticking around in certain spots.
Does the powertrain warranty cover this? If not I wonder if the extended warranty I got from GE does

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also should I check the fluid after I stop the car and wait a few minutes or is it ok to check once the car is off?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Check once it's off is OK.

If fluid is gone, it leaked out SOMEWHERE.... Keep looking....

Luck!

(might be bit by bit over time, no-one checks the steering fluid often....)

·
Registered
26 Posts
i had a problem in my 06 where it seems like there was a leak, kept topping it up, till one day there was a massive puddle on my driveway
turns out there was just air in the system, took the cap off, turned the wheel all the right and left a few times, topped it up a bit while doing so, bled out the air ...
still not quite sure exactly where the fluid was being forced out from, had to be the cap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts