Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a 02' SVT, or as i like to call it my "P.O.S." Never fails to have something break on it.

So basically it was driving normal, i pulled in to check my mail. Then when i backed out all power steering was lost, smoke was every where. My pwr steering res is completely empty. However the only place fluid came from was somewhere around my flex pipe, so the back of the engine. No fluid was on any of the lines around the power steering pump or the res. I did find that when i checked the fluid level the cap was broke. Any ideas would help, at this point im about ready to blow this car up.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
there is a line that goes the the middle of the rack and would spray the cat/flex if it failed. if thats it should be a cheap and easy fix

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, ill take a look while its still a little light out. Hopefully thats all it is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked as best i could with little light. I have pwr steering fluid splashed all the way to the top of my intake. And the hose that looks like it might have came from goes directly into the back of the intake. Is that the line your talkin about because i have no clue what that goes to. It runs from the back of my intake to the drivers side and goes into the firewall. I have a few pics that i took but i cant figure out how to load them on here. Anyone have a diagram or break down they can give me of everthing to check on the back side of the engine related to power steering and what has fluid in it that could cause all this

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
k just added a few pictures on my profile. Hope that can get some more help. They are still waiting to be approved.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
The line on the intake you found is for the brake booster. That won't be the source of the fluid leak.

See the whitish plastic funnel looking thing?
Follow that towards the front of the car and you'll find where the power steering lines run into the rack. More than likely the source of the leak will be really close to there, an O-ring maybe.
You might be able to find the leak by filling the reseviour (I can't spell this word ever, not even gonna try and correct it) with the car off. If fluid starts weeping from that area you found the source.

If there is fluid everywhere and climbing the firewall, odds are it's coming from the pressure side of the rack. Follow the P/S line that runs over the transmission, that is the pressure line. The point where it runs into the rack should be the source of the leak.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
the line im talking about goes from where the high pressure and low pressure/return lines go then makes a few bends and goes into the middle of the rack.

you can see the lines, now that i saw the picture almost any of the lines bursting could spray the manifold/cat/flex area

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
The 2 lines from the power steering pump should terminate at the steering rack on the driver's side of the car. I believe once you remove the wheel on the LH side, you can reach both of those fairly easy, but you might have to remove the brakes.

The car is about 10 years old, so expect rubber parts to start breaking. Check your upper and lower radiator hoses if you haven't changed them to make sure those aren't swelling up when the vehicle is running, and if you drain the coolant any time- the heater hoses are a good thing to change at this stage in the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys I think ive got it figured out. If you look at mikes diagram there is a blue and a red circle/hold for high pressure lines to hook up to. The third hole thats between them is for a bolt to go into a little bracket which holds both lines to the rack. That bolt was stripped completely, and just barely hangin on. lol So looks like a bolt and some steering fluid should fix the problem. Ill let you guys know. Im also looking into replacing all rubber hoses as well so if anyone knows a good affordable place to order them from that would be great to know.

Question: Aren't you suppose to bleed those lines? And if so whats the best way to do it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh sorry the way i found it was by following the high pressure line that runs in front of the radiator under the battery holder and then under the intake filter. So i pulled out my battery(which didnt need to be done) Then pulled my filter off at the MAF, took out the one bolt which held the fuse box in place and it gave me a staight shot look at the top of my steering rack as well as room to work with.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You bleed power steering by filling up the reservoir, starting the engine, and cranking the steering wheel lock to lock multiple times until it stops making groaning noises or shuddering. I'd do it back and forth like 5x, then check the fluid level. Really, you shouldn't have to add any after you fill it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the new bolt in, filled my reservoir. No leaks, so thats good. However is still have no power steering. Even after cranking the wheel back and forth at least 10 times, plus a quick little drive. Any ideas?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts