Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 wagon's steering no longer has power steering option. It's like turning the "old fashion way" (remember those days?) turns but takes muscle. Question. Does anyone know if this might become a permanent escalating issue where it suddenly wont respond? I did have a mechanic look into it and from my notes he may have checked or even replaced the power steering pump because it was whining at the time but that did not fix the lack of movement. May have been more structural. I did not have further work done but have been driving since just fine for over a year this way and can live with it IF I am not looking at a potential fulll loss of steering..Problem was I could not get a straight answer from the mechanic on what to expect. Love this car but now also looking to invest in another major repair soon so weighing options. If no one has an idea from my very vague description can you advise me what to ask the mechanic directly if I take it in again (to another location).

·
Registered
16,195 Posts
No, it will not lock up, you simply lose the assist and then it will be gone. The steering wheel is absolutely still shaft connected to the rack and will continue to work, only with more effort.

The only thing I've ever seen that could lock one up is the gear-to-gear interface in the rack, the gears wear and at some point the wear can hang the turning of the wheel enough to stick solid as a rock. Had an old MII that did it once and fixed it by simply flipping the wear part of the pinion out of time by one half turn and then re-indexed the rack output with the steering column in a different place. Instant like a new one and no money involved.

·
Grey Friar
903 Posts
I would like to ask the poster... why did you decide to post your question here in The "off-topic" General Chat Lounge, instead of in General Technical Chat or one of the specific the technical sections?

·
Registered
16,195 Posts
Why do any of them do what they do?........................may as well ask why is up....up.

Nothing has to make any sense anymore. In fact they get terribly angry if you do.

·
Grey Friar
903 Posts
I'm curious to find out why so many more people are posting tech questions here, rather than in the tech sections, like they used to do. What is leading them to Off Topic, General Chat? Google? If so, I wonder what causes the search engine to point them here?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts