Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am kind of in the mode to do this. I have a couple questions.
I have my car on stands changing the oil and I was thinking bout putting a smaller belt on? The questions I have are.
How would you run the belt?
what size would you need?
And is it feasible to remove the belt and perform the rest of the extraction later or should it all be done at once?

thanks
austin

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
This might be a silly and stupid question, but why would you want to loose your power steering? I know that it puts a draw on the motor and all, but seriously man, no power steering? lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im in the process of shaving making a clean bay and inside of my hatch. I am going to be autocrossing the car in the future and dragging it and I think if the steering was heavier (or harder, however you would like to put it) it would be beneficial.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
you'll also to gain from it, remove all the lines and loop the rack so you could steer it more easily, and still have the rack lubricate itself and thus not wear it out.

and IIRC, you cannot just get a shorter belt, because of the way the water pump turns...

but i have thought of a way to do it, and will be doing so on my spare engine i am building up in the near future.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
I have a friend that has a 1990 colt with no power steering. I drive with my car off on big hills sometimes so I lose power for brakes and steering and I don't mind it at all. I think it would be cool to take off PS and I know I have a zetec blah blah blah I don't care itd still be cool.

·
Banned
143 Posts
driving with the engine off!?!?!!?! come on dont be an idiot. yes, you save a bit of petrol but whats your life worth? your brakes still have assistance for the first push or 2 but after that the pedal will be very hard to push and wont do much. if youre doing 100km/h down a hill and you suddenly see a broken down truck just ahead, you're screwed mate.

on the other hand having no power steering is no big deal. my bros mx5 doesnt have it and i love it. nice and heavy and lots of "feel". the only time it can be tiresome is parking and slow carpark driving. when you go very slowly the steering gets much heavier.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I don't understand why you would want to delete it, especially if you are autocrossing....

I have deleted my AC but thats different, it down not change the drive ability.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
driving with the engine off!?!?!!?! come on dont be an idiot. yes, you save a bit of petrol but whats your life worth? your brakes still have assistance for the first push or 2 but after that the pedal will be very hard to push and wont do much. if youre doing 100km/h down a hill and you suddenly see a broken down truck just ahead, you're screwed mate.
hehe I know it was a really long hill and I rolled like that for like 2 miles. I know how the brakes work I had to slow down for the car in front of me. It really doesn't become that much bad IMO but I'm also decently strong. Not saying that it isn't dumb though.

5,155 Posts
I love driving w/o power steering. I think it gives a more intimate driving experience. The only time you really notice a difference is when you're going extremely slow (like <10 mph).

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
I love driving w/o power steering. I think it gives a more intimate driving experience. The only time you really notice a difference is when you're going extremely slow (like <10 mph).
i think you and your car's intimate times should be kept private waffles [hihi]

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
as long as you don't mind me watching!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

I don't understand why you would want to delete it, especially if you are autocrossing....

I have deleted my AC but thats different, it down not change the drive ability.
exactly^

But on the other hand it could be fun...........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts