Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! We have a 2014 Ford Focus and the power steering assist fault warning comes on.. the car starts and everything works except when we turn on the headlights the car dies. Just the low beams. We can turn in the high beams and it stays on. We changed the headlight bulbs and the fuses with no luck. Any recommendations before we bring it in to the shop? Your help is much appreciated!! Thank you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
get your battery tested, and probably the alternator too, check the ground on the battery.

Hope that fixes everything. Just had power steering assist fault and had to replace the rack this weekend. got a used one for 125 with 27k.

·
Captain TMI
21,227 Posts
This really should be put in the Technical Chat section. I'll have to research how to do it now that the site has changed- LOL ..

IMO, it's an electrical issue as stated above- battery or alternator. Sometimes when batteries go bad they will maintain sufficient voltage when you look at it with a tester, but once enough of an electrical load is applied, the battery can't keep up. This will also lower the output of the alternator because the battery applies voltage to the electromagnet on the alternator's shaft which is why mechanics will tell you that a bad battery will ruin an alternator. You should get it load tested at a parts store. If it fails, or is low, then get a new battery- I personally prefer the largest capacity battery that will fit in the same place. From what I understand, the Everstart Maxx at Wal-Mart use virgin lead. Motorcraft batteries are also very good IMO. I don't recommend Autozone or Advance batteries.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts