Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 ford focus. I was driving and all of a sudden the power steering locked up and it was difficult to turn the wheel. The message Power steering assist fault came on. I parked the car and turned it off. I went back out and the warning was off and the steering was fine. It's the weekend and drive 100 miles a day for work. Not sure what to do now since steering is fine now

·
Registered
484 Posts
I totally disagree---I've posted this issue before--apparently the main junction wires cause this to happen--my trans has been out for clutch packs--a diligent tech told me the fit is tight & causes connections problems---Id go there first before replacing unnecessary parts---I think this should be a recall along with the trans & horn-& AC -all electrical issues--

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I totally disagree---I've posted this issue before--apparently the main junction wires cause this to happen--my trans has been out for clutch packs--a diligent tech told me the fit is tight & causes connections problems---Id go there first before replacing unnecessary parts---I think this should be a recall along with the trans & horn-& AC -all electrical issues--
You're free to disagree. However, I didn't tell him to replace anything. He needs to see if the issue reoccurs and if so, he needs to find out what code is being set when the issue occurs. For some people, it's a 1 time occurrence. For others, it's a repeating problem.

Issues with the wiring harness and horn are not as wide spread as you think. Problems with the transmission are not electrical. They're software and design. Tom has explained the software issues numerous times. As a former Ford technician, I have experience with Focus and Fiesta clutch replacement. I also have experience with the electronic power steering system on these cars. Clutch problems aside, forums make issues appear more widespread than they really are. Those that have issues with the harness, tend to ignore the problem until the power steering control module finally fails. Since 2012, I only know of 3 Focus customers that showed up complaining about horn problems. In the case of 2, there were 2 faulty horns as a result of an accident and 1 broken horn connector. The other never came back because she was told it would take more than 30 minutes to diagnose since she could only bring the car in at lunch time when nobody was available to look at it.

There is no reason to issue a recall for a problem that only affects a small fraction of vehicle owners. If these issues affected a considerable number of owners, Ford would have been forced to issue a recall.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
That makes it sound like our power steering is pretty fragile.

sykozis, do you know whether any damage can be done to the steering rack or control unit by driving the car with either of the two fuses for the power steering (or both) removed?

·
Registered
74 Posts
My '14 SE 5-speed is giving me this fault message, except the car won't crank over at all. The battery is about a year old, all electrical works perfectly (lights, stereo, windows, door locks, HVAC), but the car will not attempt to start whatsoever.

I last drove the car Monday night, 2/25, and the next morning I went out to start it to leave for work and it gave one small crank and then nothing. Every attempt to start the car since has been the same: "steering assist fault", and no attempts at cranking over.

I looked in the fuse panel in the engine bay and all the fuses appear fine, but just in case, I swapped the starter fuse with a good one from another feature and nothing happened. Same thing with the big starter relay: swapped it with one I knew was still good from a working feature, and nothing still.

It's too damn cold for me to stay out and mess with the car long to diagnose anything in or under the engine bay, and I can't get the car into the garage to get it on stands to get underneath it because it's parked in the driveway which is at a decent incline, so it's not like the car could be pushed into the garage.

Thankfully I have other vehicles to drive in the meantime, but my Focus is my work commuter (80 miles round trip per day) so I'd really like to get it sorted ASAP. However, I really dd NOT want to piss the money away on a tow and shop diagnosis (if they even CAN diagnose anything) if it's something I can do myself (I'm handy with a wrench and have no problem replacing any parts, but tracking down electrical problems is my worst nightmare and this car has so many goddamn electrical systems and contact points that could be the culprit).

What do you think? It's a manual 2014 with 115k miles, the battery is an OEM Ford battery and only one year old, and everything electrical works perfectly, but the car will not attempt to start at all, throws the "steering assist fault" message each time the key is first put in to start, and it showed no signs of starting or steering issues at all leading up to the morning I tried to start it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I again think its all related to the main POWER CONTROL MODULE --it has issues in the junction connection of some -corrodes -- ( they will try & sell you needless parts) I hope this helps

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd be interested to see new info here also. My car does this, but usually on startup from time to time, then is fine after turning it off and back on.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I know it was a big problem with the electric steering Fusion around '10-'12. Maybe check their forums for possible solutions, other than a new rack?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Maybe I just need to plan on saving up for this. Car X said it would cost between 1000-1500 to fix. Ford dealer says 1700 worst case. I may check fuses. But I did see that there was apparently a recall for 2014 models. So they apparently know there's an issue with power steering.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Anyone have any further info on a recall or luck with solutions to this? I fear I may have the beginning signs of problems and Im not sure if they are related to connection corrosion, power steering motor or something else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts