Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys its been a while since ive been on these forums but am in desperate need of some help and advice, ive got a 2005 Ford Focus MK2 with a bad whining noise problem, the noise started in about 2 months ago after my power steering was getting a little tight and i had noticed my power steering resevoir was pink, so i did a flush of the power steering and replaced with some new stuff (recommended by ford) after doing the whole left and right steering i noticed this noise coming from the car and it got worse and worse, id leave it a while and come back and it would always come back and im talking a noise so loud it even worries you to drive the car at all.

Anyway i had a friend look at it and he told me it sounded like my power steering pump had gone so i took it to a garage he recommended and had it sorted but the guy told me to wait a few weeks and then flush and refill the power steering resevoir so today a bit late i know i flushed the power steering with a syringe and placed all new, went into the car to start it up and to my absolute horror had this horrible high pitched noise starting again.

I have tried leaving the car to settle for a while, steering left and right then took it round the block but the sound is identical to the first time and i really need it sorting with as little expense as possible, ive read a lot of things about pressure but really dont know i can do from a DIY point of view and need my car for work purposes

any help or advice would be massivley appreciated as im really at my wits end with the car

thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really ?? All 3 garages I've been to say its rare on a mk2 focus , only one of them had done one before and 2 certainly should have gone that easily...my worry is why it's happening at all I really don't want to fork out another 200 quid getting it replaced for it to just happen again

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
Perhaps you're barking up the wrong tree. The idler pulley and tensioner pulley are better suspects. Can you remove the serpentine belt? Do you know how to do a noise probe test?

Question 2 is a simple one. Use a thin block of wood or a long screwdriver, place it on the PS pump, for example, while the engine is idling, then cup your hand over the end of the "probe" and listen. The noises travel up the probe, and that allows you to listen to what is going on inside the part. If the whining noise is from the part you're probing, then it will be very loud and noticeable through the probe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tried what you meant mate and it deffo feels like its coming form the power steering pump in fact ive kinda progressed with it, i have a gut feeling its somethign to do with pressure and after seeing a video on youtube of this guy using a vaccum to suck air into the resevoir i tried it with a syringe and to my suprise the sound stopped and the liquid level went down to minimum (suggesting its circulating now) which hasnt happend before but after a few steers the sound started to slowly come back,, ive left it to settle a bit now and am going to top up my fluid (if still low) and see how it goes and then repeat the process i will report my progress back if im successful

·
FF's Night Security
28,767 Posts
^This, it sounds like you have air trapped in the system. Jack the front wheels off of the ground. Then with out the car on but key in the ignition so you can turn the steering wheel back and forth. Do this multiple times (seriously mutliple, your arms will get tired I know mine did), if you have someone look in the power steering reservoir while turning the wheel and they will probably see bubbles coming up through the fluid. Do this and then start the car. Turn the wheel back and forth some more. When you start the car the noise should be gone or reduced greatly. If not repeat. I had to do this a multiple times in our Honda and even on the SVTF I have. If you still have the noise then ether the pump is no good, or the there is a pin hole leak in the hose going to the pump and it's sucking air instead of fluid but most likely you got air in the system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just an update on this, i tried jacking the car up and steering left and right lots and lots of times and it still didnt work so i took it to the garage to be told it must be my power steering pump, so they replaced it again and low and behold after a week its doing it again but not as bad, no doubt it will get worse, when i told my local garage he seemed confused by it, im at my wits end with it, think ill stay clear of Fords from now on :(

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know this is old but I'll leave this answer here for others.

If link broke or not working or not in data. screen in power steering tank clogged causing negative pressure in the line which causes air to get pulled in through return fitting. Replace whole tank or attempt to back-flush screen....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts