Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea on how i would change the power staying on all the time on my cigarette lighter or just change one to go off when tbe car is off.

Beacause I have forgotten to unplug an accessorie once and left a cooler fridge in my car plugged in all night and that killed my battery! Had to replace my battery.
Would be nice not having to worry about it. Also using a dashcam in my car. And im currently unpluging it everytime I leave the car because it constantly records with the power always being on.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Made this a new thread as it works differently than MkIII interior plugs.

You can do custom wiring of a power point that stays on, to make it turn off when the car shuts down.

Use a relay in the power wire to the socket, and power the "trigger" side of it from any circuit that comes on when you want the outlet operative (I'd suggest key on power).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahah thanks had no idea! Will try that out soon here just need the time to wring out the wires and should be simple just seeing if anyone has done It.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I just took the dash apart and installed some relays so that they only turn on when the ignition is on.

Here's the position you'll need to "add-a-fuse" to for the relays if you do the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey not exactly sure how you wired it there. but is that an adapter block attached to the fuse box with a wire going out to a relay?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Pretty much. It's one of these.

Then it splits off to two relays. One for each power point. I also use it for powering my wideband sensor and the backlight for my boost gauge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts