Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is sort of a tough problem to describe and I'm having a hard time trying to pinpoint the possible cause.

When I accelerate moderately fast my SVT will rev but the power isn't transferring to the tires. It is particularly bad if my rpm's are low and then I step on it. I generally get around this problem by just accelerating very gradually.

The car is shifting just fine, and theres never a problem engaging a gear. I had the CV axle replaced about 10 months ago, and my clutch/flywheel/transmission are all the original components. Car has 146k miles on it.

Is this making sense? I'm just kind of stumped.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Worn out clutch would be the first place I would look, especially with 147K miles on the car especially if it is the original. Basically it is slipping under power. In the meantime take it easy when driving the car as you are already driving on borrowed time. Are you also having any burning smells coming from the car when or after this is happening?

If it is determined that the clutch is indeed worn out and causing the issue, either have the flywheel resurfaced or replaced at the same time otherwise it could/will cause the replacement clutch to wear out prematurely.

As for how to replace the clutch, search the forum there are probably a number of threads on the topic already. They may list other parts that would be worthwhile to replace at the same time.

Reactions: sailor

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, thanks guys. I figured it was likely a transmission associated problem which I haven't had any experience with before.

I'm taking it to a guy on Monday and seeing what an estimate is. I'm putting my SVT on the sale block in the next week or two and I have to decide what is worth fixing before doing that. Or if I just sell it as is. I'm open to advice on that too if anyone cares to chime in.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the car checked, and yeah its the clutch and possibly the flywheel.

I am going to be selling my SVT in the next month and am debating getting this work done before selling vs. selling the car as is. What would you guys do?

I got a quote of $1100 for the clutch, and $1500 if the flywheel has to be replaced (versus just machining it). Seems fair to me.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Got the car checked, and yeah its the clutch and possibly the flywheel.

I am going to be selling my SVT in the next month and am debating getting this work done before selling vs. selling the car as is. What would you guys do?

I got a quote of $1100 for the clutch, and $1500 if the flywheel has to be replaced (versus just machining it). Seems fair to me.
Just know who ever buys your car is going to have to replace the clutch. So you will be taking that much less from the asking. Just decide now if you want to deal with the haggling on the worn clutch or sell them a car with out any known issues.

You'll find people who will be glad to get a good deal on the car because of the clutch and then people who wont touch the car knowing it needs a major repair.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just decide now if you want to deal with the haggling on the worn clutch or sell them a car with out any known issues.
Yeah this is what I've thinking too, and feel like having the work done before selling it will make the sale move smoother than having to add that "But... the clutch is going out" during discussions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts