Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Xmas and happy Newyear to all Foci petrol head :)

I just received the AME CAI from C-F-M right before Xmas, sweet timing, and I am putting it on right away.

Before this I was using K&N Typhoon airintake, I love it really, but it feels abit of violent thru all rev range: from 2000-4000 feels soft and dump, but after 4500rpm the torque steering starts to happen then the acceleration is like a sudden push. All of above may also related to the 4.75 ratio final drive gear, so I took that off, use my stock gear box instead the MTX75 from a 2006 MK II, of course I have to keep the LSD.

Anyway, the AEM CAI isn't getting more power but providing more linear induction, and cool air for sure. Because the air filter is installed at near the front grill, it's so low and will avoid most hot air into engine, I am starting worrying the rain water going into the filter.

pictures now:

AEM CAI
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419581232.274785.jpg

Before with K&N typhoon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419581514.220323.jpg

products box
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419581569.519114.jpg

What's in the box and pre-assemble
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419581671.770371.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419581708.155678.jpg

after AEM installed
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419581745.923227.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419581785.156484.jpg

Filter position:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419581817.586100.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419581833.303658.jpg

Thank you for reading!

Neo

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
The rain would worry me. You should install a hydro lock
Just in case for piece of mind.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This looks really awesome and I bet it works great. But I don't think I would run one myself, I kinda live in Seattle so I am pretty sure it would suck up some water....

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I can't think of any. I have never used them but I know it's a good idea in case the intake filter takes on too much water.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Make sure if you have a tune already, that you get it retuned. it changes... alot most people dont know....

If not then dont worry about it.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
You have to get a tune if you get a CAI?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
It only really requires a tune if the maf housing size changes. Other than that its a pretty minute difference.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Ok I got you.

·
FF Affiliate
31,181 Posts
It only really requires a tune if the maf housing size changes. Other than that its a pretty minute difference.
I wouldnt say that , I have a customer I am tuning today that just went to a CAI and his AF changed from 12.5 to 13.2 ( converted from lambda )

You make any changes to this engine and you need to send your tuner a datalog to make sure things are safe , its a HUGH misconception that people think the MK3 ECU/engine can fully adjust it self

Tom

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
The hydro lock fitting allows air into the intake if the main filter plugs to the point were it is starving the motor.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Some aem cai have a joint air bypass. JusJust make sure it has it and is mounted higher up.... if not, you may want to consider getting it asap.
Just a little info on hydro lock, the destruction of you engine. It can blow rods, and basically seize your motor.

Hydrolock most commonly occurs in automobiles when driving through floods, either where the water is above the level of the air intake or the vehicle's speed is excessive, creating a tall bow wave. A vehicle fitted with a cold air intake mounted low on the vehicle will be especially vulnerable to hydrolocking when being driven through standing water or heavy precipitation. Engine coolant entering the cylinders through various means (such as a blown head gasket) is another common cause. Excessive fuel entering (flooding) one or more cylinders in liquid form due to abnormal operating conditions can also cause hydrolock.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Isn't that one joint air permeable? That's all the anti hydro lock fitting does, let air in a higher point in the intake.
Ya I checked it out and it looks like it is. Can't be too careful though lol.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Some aem cai have a joint air bypass. JusJust make sure it has it and is mounted higher up.... if not, you may want to consider getting it asap.
Just a little info on hydro lock, the destruction of you engine. It can blow rods, and basically seize your motor.

Hydrolock most commonly occurs in automobiles when driving through floods, either where the water is above the level of the air intake or the vehicle's speed is excessive, creating a tall bow wave. A vehicle fitted with a cold air intake mounted low on the vehicle will be especially vulnerable to hydrolocking when being driven through standing water or heavy precipitation. Engine coolant entering the cylinders through various means (such as a blown head gasket) is another common cause. Excessive fuel entering (flooding) one or more cylinders in liquid form due to abnormal operating conditions can also cause hydrolock.
Also oil (rare tho) ... had an oil channel fail (cracked) on a old Kawasaki (1981) aluminium engine...

insta-bent-a-rod!

From good to junk in a few seconds!!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Also oil (rare tho) ... had an oil channel fail (cracked) on a old Kawasaki engine...

insta-bent-a-rod!

From good to junk in a few seconds!!
That's bad news right there.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I wouldnt say that , I have a customer I am tuning today that just went to a CAI and his AF changed from 12.5 to 13.2 ( converted from lambda )

You make any changes to this engine and you need to send your tuner a datalog to make sure things are safe , its a HUGH misconception that people think the MK3 ECU/engine can fully adjust it
Tom
How big of a difference is it?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts