Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been posted before, but my situation is a little different. This is a 2002 ZTS, the power locks unlock all doors perfectly either using the remote, interior power unlock button or the key. The problem is locking all of the doors. The only way possible is to manually lock each one. Since the power unlock feature works, and there is no apparent mechanical binding or breakage inside the door, it seems as if the locking motors, cables, linkage, etc. are operating properly. Fuse 63 is good also. Trunk unlocks as well.

Every once and a while, the doors will lock using either the key, remote or interior button, but it is rare. A few years ago they worked fine, but now not so well. Could this be a problem with the control module behind the glove box? I can hear what appears to be relays clicking inside the module whenever I try using the power lock function of any of the three methods. Again power unlock works as expected. Could there be bad contacts inside the control module? I also tried unplugging the connectors going into the module for an hour as some have suggested, no luck. Is there a way to test the module, or am I looking at getting a used one from salvage or ebay, or (gulp) a new one from Ford?

This is problem because the alarm won't set (it chirps but does not set), and none of the doors lock automatically when the vehicle is in motion.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Curiosity - you didn't mention if any of the doors "click" but don't lock, or if this has always been an "all or none" situation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the system refuses to lock, all the doors are silent. When that happens, the only sound is coming from the control module behind the glove box, and it is a very faint clicking. The power unlock works and sounds normal on all the doors and trunk lid. In fact, I can hear the control module click during the unlock process as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you resolve your problem. I have the same exact problem. I bought my 2002 ZTS a couple of weeks ago and the locks have been working until today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the problem with the lock function persists. At best it locks about 1/3 of the time, although I haven't tried anything new to fix it. Still trying to diagnose the cause.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts