Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just randomly Friday night my car started bogging down REALLY bad. It has progressivly gotten worse and worse. Its to the point now where fully floored it top out around 95-96mph. I checked the compression and it was 180-185 all the way across the board. Spark plugs in cyl 2 and 4 had the tip eaten away but 1 and 3 are still good? I bought new plugs. Autolite Platinums and ordered MSD 8.5mm wires. Waiting on the wires to come in to see if that helps any. Any more ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey just a thought my car does the same think i need plugs and wires to but also my mass airflow sencer keeps goin and it causes the same prob

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
hey, first off, take the speeds out of ur first post, the mods do not like it when you post faster than speedlimit speeds. second off, did this all hapen at once?? or was it progressive over time. also, how many miles on ur car, have u changed the timing belt?? could have jumped a tooth. that will make ur car bog down.

·
Registered
774 Posts
^^^ Good points Major League. Start with the most basic and work your way up. Any vac leaks? PCV is clogged? Air filter? could be a number of factors contributing to your bogging condition. Wish I had the answer... I do not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No vac leaks, PCV is brand new, air filter is also new, mostly happened all at once, my car has 124k miles on it not sure if it has been changed but the timing belt is WAY to tight to have jumped a tooth (I got the car at 99k), MAF would cause a CEL. Thinking maybe fuel somewhere now. Plugged injectors or possibly the fuel pump?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
u'd be very surprised at how much the belt can move. My belt @ 101k jumped 2 teeth!! and the belt still had the same amount of tension!! if you've got 124k on ur car and no timing belt change, this is my bet!!! find out from the previous owner if it has been replaced!! chances are no, so its amazng ur belt hasn't broke yet!! if of course it still is the original.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Figured it out... Replaced the plugs and wires, gapped to .060. Im assuming it was a mixture between the plugs and wires just didn't think it would make THAT big of a difference. Plugs were only about 3 months old.

·
Registered
83 Posts
u'd be very surprised at how much the belt can move. My belt @ 101k jumped 2 teeth!! and the belt still had the same amount of tension!! if you've got 124k on ur car and no timing belt change, this is my bet!!! find out from the previous owner if it has been replaced!! chances are no, so its amazng ur belt hasn't broke yet!! if of course it still is the original.
If your timing belt jumped a few teeth, it would most likely show up on the compression test.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts