Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 2002 focus last week and i had read up about them before i bought it and saw the 170 hp, which obviouslly we all know on this forum. Anyway the first day i drove it i kinda of expected a little more kick that it has. I mean 170 hp and its a small car. It should be quick. Its pretty snappy but i expected more. I do have an O2 sensor messed up from the guy that had it before me when he changed the exhaust system. Could that have anything to do with it? Just wondering how everyone else viewed their power or if im just expecting to much. Replys would be great

·
Registered
370 Posts
might possibly be time for a tune up, how many miles are on the car?
heres a couple things i did to mine and it really woke it up:

1.New spark plugs (i went with copper, seems to be what everyones running)
2.taylor wires (fixing to switch to msd wires and coil, nothing wrong with the taylors though)
3.took off the intake manifold and unbolted both the Idle Air Control and Throttle Positioning sensor and cleaned them both with throttle body cleaner very thoroughly, then it took me almost an hour and a half to clean all the oil out of it from the crank case ventalation hose that connects to the intake tube.
4.took a mirror and a flashlight and looked down all my runners in the head to see what the ports and valves looked like, (as far as being clean or not) even though they were very clean i still shot some throttle body cleaner in each one just to clean out any residue.
5. while making sure everything it very clean go ahead and put it all back together and fire it up, it may take it a few secounds to start but it will and let it burn all the cleaner out then take it for a ride.

Now i also cleaned my MAF sensor and reset the ecu on it just to start fresh and man did it make a huge difference, much smoother and pulled alot harder. good luck and hope this helps some.

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Could have something to do with the 125-130lbs-ft of torque at the wheels. It isn't going to slam you back in your seat with instant throttle, it's more of a top end puller. Take it up to 4,000-5,000 in 2nd and punch it. Be prepared to shift. [thumb]

Or if you want that punch, install a JRSC with a 2.75-inch pulley, 2nd gear rolling burnouts at 30mph, that shit will slam you back in your seat, for about two days. [thumb] [?|]

·
Registered
723 Posts
What's the temp like where you're at? Take it out on a cool night and try it. It makes a difference.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
thefrush said:
Or if you want that punch, install a JRSC with a 2.75-inch pulley, 2nd gear rolling burnouts at 30mph, that shit will slam you back in your seat, for about two days. [thumb] [?|]
Only in second......... try third[thumb]

and yes... I just like rubbing it in.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i live in north dakota so its pretty cool most of the time and the car has about 80,000 miles on it. Thanks for the help everyone

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
03OrangeSVT said:
Only in second......... try third[thumb]

and yes... I just like rubbing it in.

could i do burnouts in 6th [:D]
yes you are rubbing it in, very very deep.

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
You didn't bother to test drive it before you bought it, I take it? It's a Focus, not a race car. 0-60 in the 7-second range is not going to snap your neck.

·
Registered
723 Posts
My personal favorite take of point is from a 30 roll in 1st gear. I've scared Mustangs out of racing me with that one. [:D] The CAI makes it sound like a beast at the 5K RPM range.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
azdamay said:
You didn't bother to test drive it before you bought it, I take it? It's a Focus, not a race car. 0-60 in the 7-second range is not going to snap your neck.
Well obviouslly i test drove it before i bought it. Who buys a car and doesnt test drive it? I know its not a race car cause its only a 4 banger. I just imagined it be a little quicker. When my old car, a 94 buick regal, could give it a good run for its money, i thought there may be a power issue.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
asthenia_182 said:
Well obviouslly i test drove it before i bought it. Who buys a car and doesnt test drive it?
me [:D]

I know its not a race car cause its only a 4 banger. [/B]

what exactly do you mean by that? none of them can be fast [???:)]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hell, I had a guy who used to own an SVT and is a current owner of a cobra r say it was a quick little car. You just have to get the rpm's up is all, then it pulls pretty darn decent. I love the sound of the aem in the upper r's, lol, doesn't the whistling sound is HUGE. hahaha

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
svt2nv04 said:
me [:D]

what exactly do you mean by that? none of them can be fast [???:)]
No man lol im just saying i wasnt expecting a whole lot but just a little more than mine had. O yea I know they can be fast. You go to drag races and some 4 cyclinders have over 1000 hp. No im not saying that. [:)]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts