Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
FF's Quadriplegic!
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say that you owned a Powerworks, and ProCharger and installed them both on your engine. Yor engine block is Iron and you have all the billet stuff including the best of the best of internal parts.

Since the ProCharger mounts near the front of the right wheel well, and the Powerworks mounts on top on the intake, could this theoretically work? [dunno]

I'm in no way wanting to do this, but it just ran through my mind looking through the Buy/Sell/Trade section...[burnout]

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
it could work but the effectiveness is nowhere near worth the hassle. at about the 14psi point the roots blower will become a restriction to flow... not to mention you'll have two extra accessories mounted to the crankshaft thus increasing the parasitic drag on the engine. the only wwin charging that is in any way effective is twin turbos. when you do that you either have one small and one huge (for quicker spool and then the bigger one takes over as the boost goes up) or two of the same sized ones (for say a v8 where you can have one per bank).

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Twin sequential turbos like you describe are expensive and prone to failure due to the complex mechanisms needed to bypass the smaller turbo and/or bring the bigger wheel online (eg mkiv supra best upgrade is to ditch the sequential turbos) I think that on a 4 cyl especially a well tuned single turbo or s/c is the option that makes most sense, but a twincharged (super and turbo charged) engine would potentially work well, but man it'd be expensive.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
i would like to see the set up the guy has with the jrsc and the turbo also. its not something i would do but is something i would like to see. and about the restriction, ive heard that if you run a blower and a turbo then after the supercharger is putting out as much boost as it can the turbo will force it to spin faster adding power to the crank shaft through the pulley system instead of it creating a restriction and draining power from the engine. idk but it sounds pretty sweet.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Doesn't some of the new audies have dual scrool type turbos?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
a twin scroll turbo is different than a twin "sequential" turbo. a "twin scroll" turbo is a turbo with if im not incorrect 2 different inlets configs one more restrictive for better spoolup and one larger for high rpm power correct me if im wrong but i remember reading something to that effect.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I still liked the idea of the hydracharger.....

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
That is right but the problem is 2 turbos on the same exhaust manifold would be more for show than anything now if we were talking about a 6 or 8 cylinder it would be diffrent but even on 6s youll notice say the supra...a lot of guys that are making big power..at least from what i have seen..scraped the twin turbo and went to a larger single turbo for more power.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
on an "I" configuration it would be pointless but on a "V" its a pretty damn good idea. have two smaller (same size) turbos pumping out the same psi and still cramming it into the same opening... whats the downside?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Look to Europe...1.4L TFSI VW engine...supercharger+turbo.... 170PS....and still fuel efficiency of small engine ;-)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Well most modern v-6 turbos would tend to use two smaller symmetrical turbos as opposed to a sequential setup. Like blkthunder was getting at, with 2 or more banks of cylinders it makes sense to take advantage of that with small, quick spooling turbos. Inlines and rotarys, without that advantage have tended to be sequentially turboed. I'm surious as to how the new BMW 335i's turbo system works. Rockthezx3 probably knows as hes going to be a BMW tech. I do remember in fact Saab had a footnote in automotive lore by taking an Opel (I think) V-6 and assymetrically turboing it (only one bank ran the turbo) all in all it was a terrible engine. Remember back a few years when turbos were considered "dirty" and OEMs weren't doing them because of not meeting EPA regs? It's great that they have figured out how to make them smog legal so we can have more freakin HP

·
Registered
91 Posts
Why couldn't you use a turbo on a Powerworks blower? The powerworks has the intercooler and you could use a basic turbo with that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts