Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an 02 SE. I recently replaced the alternator and battery. But the problem is that when driving at night, there is such dimming and un-dimming that it looks like I am flashing the high beams all the time. When this happens, also the blower fan for the climate control blows fast then slow and keeps repeating.
Yesterday, the car almost died, the radio shut off, the gauges stopped and the car bucked then when I was pulling over it revved back up again.

Any help would be appreciated.
-Joe

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
could be a bad ground... also was the Alternator new or rebuilt ???

there is the possibility of something causing erratic idles that drop the engine's rpm enough to cause the alternator to stop supplying charge

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just called AAA and they cane and said they were unable to get a reading off the alternator. I had this happen before, when I went to AutoZone a few years ago, they were unable to get a reading.

The car has had electrical problems from the first day we got it new. Had to be towed 6 times within the first month due to electrical problems. Ford never did fix it, they just said "it's normal" for the lights and heater to fluctuate.

I'll take it back to the shop it was at yesterday and see if they will replace the alternator.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
nothings normal about lights flickering XD I should know my old tempest did and it fried the wiring it would pulse from 13v to 37volts and back I went after the Idjit who rebuilt it and made him pay for the new engine harness which he did.. needless to say I have the parts store check even replacement alternators I buy

heres the thing the Alternator may still be good it may be the feed from the battery to the alternator that may be bad or the connector that connects to the alternator..

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Check the power supply (3 prong) plug for loose pins in the housing, or loose wires. A loose pin/wire can change the supply current drastically to the alternator, eventually burning out the voltage regulator inside the alt. Your problem could also be in the alternator to starter/battery wire (the red one on the back of the alt) the connection between this wire and the alt itself gets exposed to alot of road grit, water, ect, and gets corroded or too dirty to make a connection. I usually clean this connection annually.
If neither of the above get results, clean your engine bay ground connections (any wire that bolts to the frame in the engine bay), and either seal them with clearcoat or RTV after reinstalling the wires. Also check the battery cable ends for corrosion or loose connections. Only after the above listed items can you be sure about a low voltage reading from your alternator.

·
Registered
672 Posts
without lights or blower on, does the engine problem exist? If not, try headlights alone and if engine now wanders, probably the headlight system. If not turn headlights off and blower on. If one of these circuits causes problem, thats the issue. go from there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts