Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased one of these chip tuners from ebay, the brand is Power Factory, and tomorrow im going to install it since I got time at lunch to do that.
The product has a cable to plug inline into either the Mass Airflow Sensor or the MAP sensor(it came with both cables). You adjust it by turning a screw on it. Simple enough. Im going to plug it into one, drive it for 2 weeks(since it takes up to 300 miles for computer to adjust to it) and then switch it to the other and do the same.

The claim was to better fuel economy by up to +15%. Average power increase 15-20%. Up to 26% more torque as well so we will see after some time with it.
I have a turbosmart 50/50 recirculation valve installed(which i have been happy with from an aesthetic standpoint) so i hope it wont muddle any results, if any.

20200827_023734.jpg

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so here are some initial impressions.
I plugged it into the mass air sensor first and drove to work and the difference was at first noticable, the first thing i noticed was my outside temp reading was at 40 degrees and didnt read the correct temp for half of the drive(about 30 miles), the car reved slower than usual for some reason but was noticably quicker in the lower speeds, traffic was extremely heavy and didnt allow for really stretching its legs but everytime i could get over 50 it felt slower than usual. As the drive proceeded the quality felt worse, and my digital boost gauge was giving me readings of 33-35 psi during normal acceleration, though i think this gauge is reading higher out of the box than its supposed to be, those numbers arent possible but the overall drive quality diminished and it was sucking up the gas pretty bad so when i got to work i unplugged it from the mass air sensor and im not putting back on there untill i run a manual boost gauge to verify numbers. There may be other issues like i need to clean the mass air sensor so ill save that for another time.
At lunch i pulled the intake pipe that goes over the engine off to install the other cable onto the MAP sensor.
I took it for a quick spin, initially idle was high and didnt settle down untill it warmed up some, noticed that when coming to a rolling stop and taking off the hesitation is gone.
It accelerates and runs smoother now but doesnt feel faster or quicker. Its still giving me very high boost numbers on the gauge but doesnt feel anything like it did when it was plugged into the mass air sensor.
One thing i noticed was when my car shuts off at the lights via autostop/start my digital boost gauge now returns to zero instead of just staying where it was(usually -.6 or -.7bar)while running at idle before shutdown. Not sure if that means anything.
No codes are or were present.
Ill give it the rest of my gas tank before i start turning the screw on it to see what itll do, if anything.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What exactly are you adjusting when you turn the screw when it is plugged into the MAF? What are you adjusting when it is plugged into the MAP? How does this device differentiate between the two? Can both MAF and MAP be plugged into this device at the same time?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume it came with a cord for both sensors incase one didnt fit.
You can only use one cord at a time(unit only has one plug for it).
Im not sure how it differentiates between the two sensors. I assume it works by changing the voltage signals values.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, an update after a week of driving.
The chip seems to have improved take off and lower end acceleration.
As i said before the car doesnt feel quicker but seems overall faster and smoother during acceleration. No noticable fuel economy improvements noticed, my mileage rose slightly from not using my a/c and being able to cruise at higher speeds all week.
The boost numbers issue i mentioned is my gauge and the plug to it wiggling around, hasnt been reading funny since i unplugged it and reinserted it, get what you pay for i guess.
Im going to turn the dial on it when i take it out next and see if there is any difference now. Might throw on my aftermarket air filter back on while im in there(took it off because it didnt fit tight enough and popped off).
I guess for a hundred bucks you could do worse.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am curious on the results after you turn up the dial. I am debating this or the bluefin. 500 compared to 100 though. Lol.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any increase after turning it up?
I gave it 6 turns towards increase yesterday, which equals the next setting, and i can feel there is an increase in power.
Specifically regarding in the "passing" power.
Filling up the gas tank later tonight and will monitor this tankload before making another 6 turns on it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
When you get a chance can you take some pics of the two sensors you plug into? I have the diagram and I'm sure it will be easy to locate these but it's not very clear. Thanks man. Oh I see now. The map sensor back of motor under the long air tube is what you're hooked into now. Correct?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you get a chance can you take some pics of the two sensors you plug into? I have the diagram and I'm sure it will be easy to locate these but it's not very clear. Thanks man. Oh I see now. The map sensor back of motor under the long air tube is what you're hooked into now. Correct?
Yes.
Just pop the crossover tube off(unless you got really small hands) and swap the plugs, make sure its fully locked into the sensor.
Then run your wire to where ever you want to keep the box and tighten the screws for the cable plug. I put mine in the space between the airbox and body.

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, to increase power you turn the little screw counterclockwise? Any difference on yours after the extra turns?
Yes, there was an increase in passing power after giving the screw a few turns to increase power.
I would pay attention and put some miles on the car with it plugged in before making any turns on it.
I havent done any holeshots or anything like that since i just use my car to drive to work, havent tested off the line performance but there is likely some increase there, albeit small.
My front tires and brakes are beat already and im putting together some replacement parts to do some preventive maintenance(oil pump and belt, brake booster pump, sparkplugs) so im waiting to replace them before i start hammering on it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The ambient temperature has dropped lately(being the start of fall and such) and both days the outside temp was below 55, according to the dash, the check engine light popped up on a full cold start. Code p0096. Ugh. No drivability issues and cleared right up both times with my boost gauge thingy, But still concerned.
The instruction pdf talks about check engine lights so im going to turn the dial back a setting and monitor the situation.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ugh indeed. Looks like that code is related for sure. I was ready to thrown mine on in a couple days. I might not now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts