Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a problem like this: Its a automatic, durring normal driving, when ever the car shifts into second gear, it feels like there is a noticable power loss. Durring WOT it pretty much just falls on its face. It's only when it shifts into second gear tho. I've always kinda noticed it, but it seems like it's getting worse. I changed the fuel filter a couple of weeks back and that didn't help. The car only has 24500k miles on it. I think I'm gonna get a set of ford racing wires and change out the plugs and see if that helps. I'm open to some other suggestions. The only mod to the car is a mac short ram intake.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
I just noticed the same problem on my ATX yesterday. Just faceplanted. Don't think its a parts problem as much as an engineering problem.

IMO, first gear is far too long in our cars for the small power they put out. 3 gears (plus OD) just aren't enough.

Using the diagnostic mode on the mileage LCD screen...

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=37

my engine drops from ~6000 to ~3000 rpm from first to second at *almost* WOT... I have 150k miles and dont want to blow it [?|]. Thats a huge drop in power and rotational energy all at once, and probably causes all kinds of airflow issues as well. do a search for dynos and check the power drop... percentage wise it's pretty huge.

Just some guesses, I hope others can confirm my thinking...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^Agreed, however having second gear where it is makes for decent acceleration if you go to WOT at about 45-50 mph. It definately would have been a great idea to but in a five speed auto. I would have gladly paid extra for one more gear, as I think it would help a lot with the...well, lack of acceleration in an ATX.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thats what I thought it was, but wanst too sure. The gearing aint the greatest on these cars. It really sucks when getting on interstate or something like that when you need that extra power, then when you punch it it just falls on its face.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Get a tune, it made a huge difference, I love second gear now... it pulls nice and hard all the way through now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
"IMO, first gear is far too long in our cars for the small power they put out. 3 gears (plus OD) just aren't enough. "

That's why I drive a 5 spd [:D]

·
Registered
365 Posts
Check out Wayne at www.hypillauto.com he was having some issues, but is back up and running well again, or you can check out www.focussport.com I got my tune from Wayne and must say I am very happy with it. The Focus is a whole different animal now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts