Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have just installed power windows and power locks, the windows work great, but the door locks don't. The unlock button causes the GEM to click but doesn't actually unlock the door unit and the lock button won't do anything. any idea where i could possibly look towards with the gem clicking but not unlocking the door?

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
If used latches from junkyard the back of door latch assembly internal motors have to work. If same latches well, dunno, if latches not equipped with that motor then they never will work will they? Maybe two different latch assemblies there to make for some parts being cheaper?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
idk if i understand what your saying, back of door latch? the hook itself? there is a motor in that? or are you referring to the rear hatch latch?

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
The outside 3 bolts hold it to back of door, there are two limit switches and a planetary drive along with a motor inside it. The hook is only one of about 50 parts inside that latch.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so your talking about the actual door lock unit..... I'm aware that the actual motor has to work, what do you mean by if same latches and latches not equipped with that motor will not work?

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
I do not know for sure but very possible Ford made latches with no power locks in them to cheapen costs on some cars. Times thousands of cars that can save incredible amounts of money. Then they would have other latches that had the full electrical parts in them at higher cost. They have done things like that to literally thousands of different parts for their cars.

One way to tell would be to see if more than one part is offered as far as the latch. Or run down the schematic to the latch pinout and then just apply power to the proper pins to see if the latch works the lock. You can have blank pins that go to nothing depending on who made the part. If your car had no power locks to begin with I'd suspect that.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh ok i see what your saying but i pulled all the power door stuff from a donor car just like i did with the power windows, the latches are powered, i have them connected and everything its all OEM equipment, thats why I'm a little confused as to how or why the GEM would click but not actually lock/unlock

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Then your power circuit has an issue somewhere with it. Power the latches directly at the latch only and see if they work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts