Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The official hp rating for the Focus MKIII is 160 hp at the crank. With mods to the car some are getting as high as 170 hp to the wheel. My question is how much loss is there between the crank and the power at the wheel. I've heard different percentages, but would like to have a good guess-tament. If the loss is 10% then would 170 hp at the wheels equal something like 187 at the crank?

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Because the DCT is a direct drive like the 5 speed I am guessing you are close at the 10% maybe 12%
I think the 5 speed will have slightly less loss then the DCT

Tom

·
Registered
292 Posts
Also a good thing to consider is even though the car is rated at 160 that's just the guaranteed power, so the car could potentially make more than 160 stock. Its hard to tell without knowing how much drive train loss there is.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen dyno runs showing a peak hp of 155 from a stock engine. Looks like 160 is definitely conservative. 155+12%=174 hp at the crank! On another forum I've seen adding a good CAI is getting 170 hp at the wheels! That translates (at 12% loss) to 190 hp at the crank. Unbelievable from a 2.0 liter engine with just a CAI mod!!

·
Something goes here
8,290 Posts
My mk3 stock on a mustang dyno put down 145hp to the wheels. With intake exhaust and a tune I put 177hp down. These motors are definitely under rated from the factory.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I can't complain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts