Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I may be moving much further south than I've ever lived in my life as I have a tentative offer to work as a historian in DC. Over the winter, I bought a new set of ST200 wheels for dedicated summer duty, while planning on using my beat up stockers for winter tire use. My question is, should I just invest in a high-performance all seasons instead of summer tires? I figure I probably won't need snow tires any more, but I also would hate to run these wheels in any sort of adverse weather.

Any opinions from people that are from that area?

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I have a friend that lives just outside of DC (Vienna/Falls Church) and he daily's an M3. He had a dedicated set of winter tires (came with a set of wheels he bought) but said they werent needed and went with Continental DWS for daily duty. If you only plan on running one set of wheels, i would get a set of high performance all seasons over dedicated summer tires. DWS will be plenty good in summer conditions but will rest easy knowing you will be covered when you do get snow/ice/rain.

DC had 6" of snow Saturday, summer only tires would be miserable in that. You wont see as much snow as often as NH but still enough to where you would want all seasons imo. Of course if you plan on keeping two sets of wheels, you'd be fine running whatever you want on the summer wheels.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, I know I could get by with just all seasons down there but not sure if I want to run those good wheels at all in the snow. I guess it won't stay like up here in the North East, but maybe I'll get a cheap set of all seasons or something to run on my old stock wheels.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Right, I know I could get by with just all seasons down there but not sure if I want to run those good wheels at all in the snow. I guess it won't stay like up here in the North East, but maybe I'll get a cheap set of all seasons or something to run on my old stock wheels.
Stock 16" wheel size will be a little cheaper than 17's too. If you are keeping the stock wheels, just use those for winter (probably only needed from like late December to early March.) If the summer wheels arent going to see any snow, might as well go with a stickier set of summer only then.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not a lot of snow but lots of road salt and pot holes. Tires don't need to be snow tires but if you are worried about your wheels getting crappy it can't hurt to have a pair of "salt" wheels.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I may end up getting dedicated summer tires and just slapping on some cheaper all seasons for winter duty.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You might not NEED to run Snows, but with two sets of wheels already on hand it wouldn't hurt. Cheaper ones like the Generals I'm using now are decent for wet weather & bare pavement while still being OK in real snow.

Ice & snow when it DOES hit is more of an issue there than up north, with less equipment avail. to help deal with it. Been stuck in Baltimore more than once when a Winter storm hit, what a show.

Leaves you the option of heading West or North when you want to without worries as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I live in indiana and our winters are about 50/50. I just bought a set of high performance all seasons and i love them, grip good when its dry but got through the 5 inches of snow we got just fine. I only have one set of wheels so these tires are used year round

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was almost leaning towards the all seasons just in case I don't want to/can't afford new snow tires come this winter. If I change my mind, I can always throw my old wheels back on since I already have them.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Seriously. If it snows around D.C.all work stops. Only crazy people are driving, and since not one of them has a clue how to drive in snow... Carnage.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Washington racetrack = late night banzai around the whole loop.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I ran with ST200 wheels and all-season tires for almost 5 years never had issues with rust or whatever... I did washed them once or sometimes twice a week during the winter months though. My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ran with ST200 wheels and all-season tires for almost 5 years never had issues with rust or whatever... I did washed them once or sometimes twice a week during the winter months though. My 2 cents
hmm making it seem like I may just run the st200s year round down there...especially if I keep them clean. They are wheels, after all

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alright so what are some opinions on good high-perf all seasons? I'm currently looking at some Goodyear Eagle Sports, they have a rebate right now on tirerack.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
alright so what are some opinions on good high-perf all seasons? I'm currently looking at some Goodyear Eagle Sports, they have a rebate right now on tirerack.
I've been happy with Continental DWS, bought a set for my significant other for dd use. She travels probably close to 50 miles a day for work and we have had a pretty good winter so far. They have kept her on the road and handled well. When my cheapo all seasons need replacing, i will be considering them.

Havent used them in summer yet but they have handled well enough when its been dry.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good to hear. I was looking at the general gmax as03. A cheaper tire, but as good of reviews as more expensive ones on tire rack and I love the aggressive tread look. Only 94 a tire

1 - 18 of 18 Posts