Focus Fanatics Forum banner

19741 - 19760 of 19804 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think I got mine in red off of the Wish site, stuff there is cheap but you will wait for it because it's coming from China. Type Ford Focus in the search and you will find a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
3D Printed Spoiler Mod - Proof of Concept

Sometimes I think I should just leave well enough alone but I hardly ever do.

I 3D printed some risers for my 2014 SE, there are a few things that bug me about using spoiler risers that I plan to "fix" with my solution. This is just a proof of concept to check the look.

1> The risers themselves need to be shaped for aerodynamics - the round is just plain and utilitarian.
2> Raising the spoiler exposes a really weird body part - the plan is to cover that.
3> The underneath of the spoiler is like Swiss cheese, hexagonal holes all in it - the plan is to cover that as well.

Stretch goal/blue sky idea: active spoiler, raises and lowers on command or automatically.

From the pics, I would love to hear some feedback good or bad but let's be civil - ya?

Too high? Too low? Needs more tilt? Anything else? ...

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts

RS airbox/cobb filter/ velossa tech big mouth snorkel. Waiting on some bolts to put 63mm TB in and MST hose.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
The standard spoiler is designed to function as an aerodynamic aid, reducing drag and wind noise. You've essentially made it non-functional. As it is, it provides little or no meaningful downforce (not that you need it with FWD) and it increases drag and wind noise.

You have multiple options for OEM spoilers, ST, RS, Zetec S, as well as many aftermarket options that look nice and function properly. What you've done was probably a fun project, but it looks like a hot mess.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The standard spoiler is designed to function as an aerodynamic aid, reducing drag and wind noise. You've essentially made it non-functional. As it is, it provides little or no meaningful downforce (not that you need it with FWD) and it increases drag and wind noise.

You have multiple options for OEM spoilers, ST, RS, Zetec S, as well as many aftermarket options that look nice and function properly. What you've done was probably a fun project, but it looks like a hot mess.
Hey Mac - A hot mess? maybe, but that is the risk for just about every thing I try.

I think the drag effect of my mod will be negligible and wind noise is unknown but a good point. I have a solution for that in mind if it becomes an issue though.

The standard spoiler is just not that exciting IMHO. The ST spoiler is only a slight improvement and the RS is fairly radical but I don't want to advertise something that I am not. I would really be tempted by a RS spoiler if it didn't have "RS" stamped on the side.

I have read in these threads about other spoiler options and maybe I am just really bad at searching the internet but I am not finding much at all. I liked a spoiler option, I lost the link, looked great but was close to $200 and was attached by adhesive, uhm, no thanks. My mods are usually reversible, adhesive can do a lot of damage, just my preference but I don't want to go there.

To me the bottom line on the spoiler for my car is aesthetics, It's an SE, not really made for speed, but peppy enough for my daily commute and still sounds good. For now I am in stock mode and working on making a bottom piece to cover the exposed body as a result of the risers. That solution really could become a hot mess, I'll post my results only if it works out ok :)

·
Registered
45 Posts

Just want to point out that rear downforce is important even for FWD cars, especially if you intend to go fast.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, the earlier pictures of my risers look about like what I have done now, except I now have all 7 risers for stability.
There is no noticeable wind noise, I think maybe when I have my windows rolled down but I could be imagining it. No drag that I can tell, just took a long trip and my mpg went up. Most, all but one, everyone who sees them really like them. They grew on me pretty fast even though I do not like the honeycomb look of underneath the spoiler. That will probably be a future project.
My next upgrade is going to be driving lights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2000 ZX3 5 speed. Parts all over from an actual Saleen not ordered. Also has carbon fiber hood, painted heated mirrors. Aftermarket headlights, 17" rims, Saleen carbon fiber dash, center console, and cluster, door jamb Saleen info sticker. Also Focus Sport header, Borla center exhaust, AEM CAI, Steeda polished valve/plug cover, H&K springs, polyurethane bushings front & rear, short throw shifter, and a few other things.
I'm not sure if its the original engine but can tell it has been out and built or rebuilt. Just got the car and trying to figure out why its idling at 2.5-3k and has no power above 3k. With Idle Control unplugged it idles at 1200 but when i hit the throttle it slowly drops to 1600 for a second then quickly drops to 1200. EGR has been removed unless this isn't the original engine. I've checked all the vacuum lines and PCV, swapped a used TPS and Idle Control and neither made a difference. No Engine light and the engine light does work. I'm pretty bummed and stumped.

Attachments

19741 - 19760 of 19804 Posts