Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yea I was thinking this, but the old school test push down and bounce once shows good, Ha! I've always dealt with shocks not struts, runs great still has plenty of power for a banger another year of CS and I'l be able to try to dump more money into it then dump on son for "first car", if you know what i mean,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello Focus Fanatics,

Let's create a single thread where members post their Mileage, along with the maintenance that has been required to get them there. The idea is to create a log where owners can anticipate maintenance items based on the experience of others, rather than the Ford maintenance schedules.

Requirements:

1. Model Year
    Mileage
    Maintenace Items
I'll start:

2009 Ford Focus SE
130,000 miles
Front sway bar end links (97k), brake pads (97k), front strut assemblies (130k), conventional oil changes every 3k miles.

Post 'em up!
2010 Ford Focus SE
±97,500 miles - almost all city driving
Original owner
Zero mods other than an aftermarket stereo.

-Synthetic Blend every 5k since day one, filters as needed.

-Replaced pads & rotors are 40k, again at 85k

- Steering rack at about 80k

-New struts all around at same time as steering rack (were SHOT)

- Hydraulic motor mount at 85k (didn't go with OEM, so far so good).

- Just did plugs about a month ago.

- Radiator flush about a month ago.

- Needs ignition cylinder housing. Have to fuss with it to start, and sometimes steering wheel doesn't lock

- Minor anomalies: horn is dying and spray nozzles broke under the hood. Replaced a mirror someone was kind enough to hit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
2009 purchased used in Dec 2010 with 28,000 miles. It has an automatic.

The air bag warning system was alerting when I took it for a test drive. Since I was buying a car to replace one destroyed in a head on, I insisted that get fixed asap. Never another issue with that.

Right now it has 199,000 miles.

Battery replacement
Serpentine belt
Bought a waterpump because I think it is seeping, still haven't installed it
Backup light bulb
Passenger side mirror. Accident damage while getting pulled out of snow.
Front sway bar links (replaced with Moog)
Spark plugs, replaced oem at 160,000+

Front pads and rotor
Passenger tail light assy. Bumped into something.

I wish I could buy another new 2009 to replace this when it is time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When you guys talk about replacing end links, is that to get rid of the clunking noise that comes about? I had it originally around 80K, and I replaced lower control arms and that got rid of it, but are you saying that it was really sway bars i should have looked at?

Thanks
My Focus sounded like a bucket of marbles when I went down a dirt road after the first year I owned it. When I broke a swaybar link and replaced both sides it was instant silence. I'd have done that years earlier if I only knew. The noise wasn't an issue on paved roads.

·
Registered
292 Posts
any body else have that annoying squeak issue going over EVERY little bump?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
^^^ Deserves it's own thread, Brakes, Suspension & Chassis comes to mind.

First guess would be the E-Brake cables worn where they pass though their holders, that one usually shows up first with the door open getting in & out of the car.

·
Registered
120 Posts
any body else have that annoying squeak issue going over EVERY little bump?
Mine has a squeak. It's a rear suspension arm bushing. Next owner can get it.

188k miles on my 2009 5-speed SES.

At 100k I replaced plugs.

At 150k I replaced rear shocks, put quick struts on front, rear sway bar links and front way bar links. Change oil every 7k miles with Motorcraft 5w-20 semi-synthetic.

Awesome car. But I'm replacing it with a 2016 SE 5-speed in November.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Update

2011 Focus SES auto
Full synthetic oil changes 7-9k interval
Replaced tires, rotors, pads, & air filters as needed
Replaced sway bar links
Replaced all motor mounts
Replaced coolant, p/s fluid
Replaced thermostat (stuck slightly open, coolant temp would fall during winter)
Replaced spark plugs
Replaced serpentine belt
Replaced trans fluid and gasket, had drain plug welded into pan for easier service.
Replaced a/c txv
Cleaned throttle body a couple times
Replaced battey

Currently needs:
Diagnose airbag system, has codes for passenger occupant classification system (bladder in seat)
Alternator has internal bearing making noise
Monitoring timing cover seepage
Now at 178k miles.

Replaced both front wheel bearings
RF axle assy broke and needed replaced
2nd set of sway bar end links
2nd pass side engine mount
Valve cover gasket leaking and needed replaced
both front struts (during wheel bearing replacement)

Developed idle up and down problem causing it to almost stall at times. Replaced electronic throttle body (did not fix) and then replaced MAF sensor. (fixed problem)

Still needs rf seat OCS bladder but never changed it
A/c evaporator leaking and still needs replaced
Timing cover still has only minor seepage
Alternator bearing still noisy but working ok

·
Registered
80 Posts
2009 SE, 252,000 miles.

Front brakes and rotors twice.
Rear brakes never.
Front sway bar links 1 1/2 times. One of the Moogs I installed 2.5 years ago separated last week. I replaced it with the cheapest thing I could find.

Replaced water pump when I replaced a failed idler, pump was still okay but I was there working on things.

Last year I got a low coolant alarm, so I replaced the thermostat.

This year I replaced the drivers side headlight bulb.

No wheel bearings, or drive axle service yet. Running the original struts.

It is starting to rust away but is still running strong. I drive 35 miles each way every day so that may be helping with the longevity.

Oh, battery once. It has been a great car. I also tow an utility trailer from time to time.

I can't see buying the current DCT model so I'm thinking a Ford Escape S with the 2.5 normally aspirated engine is going to be the next ride.

Clutch

·
Registered
24 Posts
2009 SE, 252,000 miles.

Front brakes and rotors twice.
Rear brakes never.
Front sway bar links 1 1/2 times. One of the Moogs I installed 2.5 years ago separated last week. I replaced it with the cheapest thing I could find.

Replaced water pump when I replaced a failed idler, pump was still okay but I was there working on things.

Last year I got a low coolant alarm, so I replaced the thermostat.

This year I replaced the drivers side headlight bulb.

No wheel bearings, or drive axle service yet. Running the original struts.

It is starting to rust away but is still running strong. I drive 35 miles each way every day so that may be helping with the longevity.

Oh, battery once. It has been a great car. I also tow an utility trailer from time to time.

I can't see buying the current DCT model so I'm thinking a Ford Escape S with the 2.5 normally aspirated engine is going to be the next ride.

Clutch
Pretty good! I have 214K on a 2008.

Front brakes twice, thermostat, rear wheel bearings and two from passenger motor mounts, 2 batteries. Else I just drive and drive and drive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2012 FF SE HATCHBACK 2.0L
100,000. MI
IVE ONLY HAD THE CAR FOR A YEAR but have had front brake pads put on, 4 new tires Goodyear All-season, 3 or 4 oil changes and a new battery.

My check engine light comes on when I’m driving and I’m getting a code P00010 which I know is camshaft solenoid intake bank 1 or valve A. Where are the bolt to these solenoids? Do I have remove a bunch of stuff? This is an easy fix right? Replace that open intake solenoid?

·
Registered
4 Posts
114,000 miles on a 2008 SE. With one exception, the thing runs like I just drove it off the lot new.[hihi]

We inherited it from an aunt, who treated it gently. Too bad the people she let service it weren't as careful.[smackbum]

Got a rattle in the front end I need to track down and fix, and some moron rounded off the oil pan drain plug, had to buy that Irwin Bolt Extractor kit from Lowes Hardware to get it out.

Thank heavens for YouTube!

Dan

·
Registered
970 Posts
~98K miles, and the car has been great so far. Just oil and filters through 95K, and then I did a drain/fill on the coolant, changed spark plugs, front pads, and cleaned the MAF/TB.

Battery died a year ago and a marker bulb died recently.

Still drives and looks like new.

·
Registered
161 Posts
2008 SE Auto 4dr 67k.

Oil and filter every 5k, Rotate tires at oil change. Use Royal Purple 0w-20 oil.
Replaced fuel filter at 45k. replaced Spark Plugs at 60k.

Still runs like new. No major maintenance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2005 ZX4 SES
Bought used at 50k miles, put 30k on in the first year. Mostly drive the wife's Prius. Now it's at 138k and 7 years ownership.

4 sets of cheap tires
2 sets of spark plugs
Synthetic blend oil every 4k-7k changed personally
Sway bar links at 80k and needing another change
Front brakes and rotors around 80k
Suspension needs replacing all around
Needs new motor mounts
Replaced air intake with a janky diy short ram
Battery, alternator, intake manifold assembly, MAP sensor, swirl flaps, actuator solenoid, PCV valve, and cleaned throttle body at 138k

Valves are completely spotless and runs like a champ! Well except a minor throttle issue that's yet to be determined.

·
Registered
29 Posts
205,000 now. Water pump started leaking so I replaced it the belt and pulleys.

LF axle broke just like the other
LF wheel bearing again (premature failure)

Sway bar shifted to the driver side so I replaced the sway bar bushings and made DIY sway bar locks with heater hose and clamps. Also replaced the control arms.

Transmission service again
Finally replaced the evaporator
Replaced the OCS module on the passenger seat and relearned the airbag system.
Front rotors and pads again
Replaced brake fluid
Currently refinishing the ses wheels

81 - 96 of 96 Posts