Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, while I do NOT condone doing this, and I hardly ever beat on my car, I thought it would be interesting to go and do some 0-60 runs with my SPI, since the heads have been taken care of.

Again, this isn't safe, (unless taken to a track) and getting tickets for "sudden acceleration" isn't exactly what I would call the greatest feeling in the world, either. Doing these tests is completely on YOU. I take NO responsibility for your results, test drives, or joy rides. I'm not here to get bashed on either. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all. Thanks. [nutkick]

Having said that, if you have some 0-60 sprints with your SPI (or Zetec, why not?) post them here.

I would love to get a good idea of auto vs standard, and SPI vs Zetec. Just playing around with some numbers and such. Not street racing stories, nor any idiotic driving maneuvers.

I decided to take the 03' out today and try her out, since she feels so peppy around town. Note: Car is stock. Just very clean, in and out, and well taken care of! [gunfire]

First launch: Brake launched it too hard, and got over 2 seconds of wheel spin, easy. Was impressed with the torque at bottom it wanted to put out! The 0-60 run sucked though, at a measly and slow ass 12.9 seconds! Yikes!

Second run was a little scarier, since this wasn't going out to a stretch of highway, but was rather a back road.

Second launch: Brake torqued it better (I'm still getting used to the auto in it) and no wheel spin at all. 0-60 was somewhere right around 11.5-11.8, but I couldn't exactly tell, since the road was narrow...I was paying attention to it, and not my stopwatch, lmao. [driving]

That ended my running for the day, since I didn't feel like burning up any more gas.

So... results? Well, it's for sure not a race car. I would have to say all in all, it's right around the performance of my old 2.2 (120 BHP) OHV auto Cavalier. Not bad for it's weight, but 110 HP is just SO little for this Focus being an 03'. I feel the Zetec is a much more suitable power-plant for the car. The SPI is fantastic for scooting around town, but quite anemic above 40 MPH.

I will try some more runs (I'm sure) later on with the car, as I continue to tune it up and maintain it. For any wondering, it has 82,5xx or so on it at the time of this post. All stock, 4 speed auto. My overdrive was ON. It may help for a better run if it's off, but I can't say for that, since I don't know how Ford's transmissions work.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While this is useful for those owning the Zetec engine, it helps none in my case, or real world instance, since these are all times by professional driver's, and not actual Foci driver's who know their own cars better than the pro's.

It doesn't mention what type of engine is in the 2000 Focus Se either. I'm guessing that the 8.9, 0-60 is a Zetec with the automatic. That would make the most sense? [race]

·
Registered
739 Posts
I really don't want to know what my Focus's 0-60 time is. Haha. I did however run a 13.9 with my Mustang V6 I had previously. It was on the track though and I had some issues with wheel hop that screwed up my times. I should have been able to do better than that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2001 SPI sedan that does from 8.7 on a perfect run to ~9.2 on an average run. 132k miles, no mods. Had engine replaced at 125k miles, no other major replacements. It's not fast, but for a very basic compact, it's decent.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2001 SPI sedan that does from 8.7 on a perfect run to ~9.2 on an average run. 132k miles, no mods. Had engine replaced at 125k miles, no other major replacements. It's not fast, but for a very basic compact, it's decent.
This HAS to be with a 5 speed though, right? I find it possible with a great driver behind a stick shift, but as for auto, there is no way it's running as quick as a Zetec 0-60, stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nope, it's an auto. I don't believe it either, but that's what it does. For some reason, it gets off the line really quickly. I don't know if it's had any mod-work done to the transmission to sharpen it up, it doesn't feel like it. *shrugs*

·
Registered
7 Posts
My friend has a Zetec and I've driven it on road trips and I have to say mine feels a lot sharper. Throttle response is near-immediate in mine and the steering is a lot tighter. Maybe something has been done to it. I've only owned it for about the last 10k miles (a year and two months).

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Somewhere in the low 6 to mid 5 second range. Never really checked / of no concern to me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Somewhere in the low 6 to mid 5 second range. Never really checked / of no concern to me.
Now being that much quicker for a 0-60 sprint...that's a different story. I would play with that speed all day long, lol. [shhh]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Resurrection from the dead!

Still looking for a somewhat decent answer out there. Especially since I may be trading my car for one this week.

01 Focus ZX3. 2.0 Zetec, automatic 4 speed. Any numbers, friends?

I've found a consistent 8.7 and 16.7 for the 0-60 and 1/4 mile time when talking about the manual. I imagine the auto should be about half a second slower both ways, no?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts