Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I'm about to tackle the design and build part of my system install and I would like to see if maybe I could steal little bits and pieces of inspiration from you all haha.

I am especially interested in the ZX3/ZX5 hatchback system layout...but anything works :)

Loud and proud people..post them pics! [:D]

·
Registered
500 Posts
Dont mind the mess... [8]

Yeah yeah yeah I have heard it before turn the sub around... to me and everyone who sits in my car it pounds just as hard if not harder and sounds just as good facing front. Ok with that said I think this set up rocks cause its all custom (except the box) the box is soon to be custom made. It is secured down so it wont move even when taking those on ramps at XXmph!

Good luck man [thumb]

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
This is the setup in my boys S2 that we did awhile back. If you notice the "Y" shape on the face of the setup, that allowed him to still use the factory cover back there and never see a thing.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
My work in progress since last year... (major procrastinator)

1 amp going to the 5 year old sub.
2nd amp goes to the components

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I have a larger wagon, but a common ZX3 approach is to mount the amp on one side
and the sub box on the other, or customize an SVT sub box to use a 10" sub for a side
mount option. The Zed amp was too big, but the Arc amp is only 8" wide, so I could easily
mount 2 of them on the side (4ch for speakers, plus a sub amp) and still be under the cover....

The unfinished amp rack 2 years later with Arc 4150XXK amp... [:D]

Dampened door with 6.5" woofer in 1/2" MDF baffle spacer...

A-pillar tweeter...

Deflex pad...

DRZ9255...

With Zed amp, and view of Oz Xovers...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DetroitBass- I like your setup...very clean. wish I could ditch the rear seats too...lol but I think I might use them from time to time. Besides, I just have to fit a single Brahma 15, 2 amps, and some caps I had laying around for visual effect.

·
Registered
407 Posts
no pics :(

but i have a 1200 watt sony xplod amp + 2 12' sony xplod subwoofers and in a few weeks im getting sony 6x8 or 5x7 all around

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
yeah yeah yeah, likely story
your box will take as long as my amp rack.......... still not done [;)]

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FocusInCali said:
What amps? and size of them?
So far this is what I have already for the system:
*Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS In-Dash CD MP3 WMA WAV ACC
*Arc Audio ARC1500 DR (Rated at 900 RMS, supposed "true" output near 1125~)
*Brahma D2VC 15
*2 (1) Farad Voodoo caps with digital voltage readout

As for the rest... although not set in stone, I think I will be using *Polk MOMO MMC570s in the fronts (Nothing in the rear, I want the sound stage up front) and I would like to bi-amp them and eliminate the need for the passive crossovers. I used to run that setup in my Ranger with a JL 300/4 powering them and the help of an Audiocontrol EQL EQ...but not this time. Haven't decided on the 4 channel amp, but I am leaning towards the *HiFonics Zx6400.

This car is supposed to be a budget car, and so I am trying to keep the project cost down. I typically like to keep similar name brands, but the arc audio amps just cost too much to get an Arc Audio 4 channel.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I hear the 880 is a great HU from fellow SQ users.

Arc 1500D-R (great for sub duty, be sure to give it room to breath, or use a fan)
http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Arc_1500DR
I'm sure the Brahma will be happy with the power. [;)]

Awesome, it's 8" wide, so you need another Arc amp. The 4150CXL would match perfectly. Tests around 80-90w/ch x 4ch at 4 ohms. You'll find them for about $350. I'll keep an eye out for ya. PM DetroitBass to see if he knows anyone with one to sell. He used to sell Arc.

Both amps will fit stacked on one side. [thumb]

Hifonics isn't what they used to be. The old school amps were designed by Stephen Mantz of Zed Audio. He has his own amps now. I got that Zed 4ch direct from Stephen at Zed in Simi Valley. It's about 12" wide though, so you wouldn't be able to mount it and the 1500D stacked. Maybe vertical and besides each other though.?. You'd have to measure. I still think you should get the 4150CXL to match your 1500D.

Check eBay, EliteCarAudio, DIYMA, and all the other numerous car audio forums for a used 4150.

As for speakers, the MMC570 are good for stock size, but a definite weak link in the rest of your system. Maybe use them in the rear off the 880 for rear fill or ambience at a low level. If at all.

If you plan to go active on the frontstage, then there are plenty of great options.

What's your budget for a 4ch amp and front speakers, Total?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Haha, rcantu is in OC. Go see it in person and pick it up. I'm sure he'll take $300 cash, or $280 if you're lucky and the amp has battle scars.

Either amp will work, and they are both gun-metal grey.

Is your amp grey?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts