Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, looking to get some input from the locals.

Me and a couple friends are looking at moving to the Carolinas late next year after we finish college. We took a road trip to Myrtle Beach earlier this year and absolutely fell in love. Of all the states I've seen/visited (Texas, Cali, Missouri, Oklahoma, Florida, etc.) the Carolinas truly felt like home. Everyone we ran into and talked to were extremely nice and hospitable, not to mention the scenery down there destroys what we have here in Wisconsin lol.

I'm looking to get some input on the best cities to live. A major factor is being close to the coast, but that's negotiable as Asheville, NC was one of the places we checked out and fell in love with. I think really we just want an all around city that has a blend of people, jobs, recreation, cost of living, etc.

Searching online I find a lot of claims that folks in the south can be a bit intolerant of us "Yankees" but being that we experienced none of that, I'm assuming that's only in select rural areas. Any input would be great.

Also, if any of you are LEO's, I'd very much appreciate your input as those are the jobs I'll personally be searching for upon arrival. Spoke with a couple when I was in Myrtle Beach and they were pretty cool about the barrage of questions I had.

Also, how's the car scene? Especially from the gov't side of things? California hates cars. Wisconsin is pretty open and less restrictive currently. How do the Carolinas match up?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in near Greensboro, NC and I love it here but I also grew up only a couple hours north of here in VA. Nice thing about the Greensboro area is you are only 4 hours from the beach and just 1.5 - 2 hours from the mountains. I prefer the mountains myself.

Sorry, I don't know what an LEO is.

·
Registered
519 Posts
As far as the car scene goes, the scene isn't as big as I'd like, but here in south Carolina you can do whatever you want to your car, no mandatory inspections at all for anything. It's almost impossible to have an illegal car on the road here. I'm in summerville, sc which is basically considered the charleston area. I'm about 30 minutes from the beach here but practically anywhere in the charleston area puts you withing a half hour of the beach. And the whole "yankee" thing is just a misconception, I may here some of us pick on Yankees but we are all just picking fun. And we aren't just a bunch of dumb ******** like the rest of the country perceives us haha. I would take a visit to charleston and see how you like it here, alot going on and always close to everything.

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in near Greensboro, NC and I love it here but I also grew up only a couple hours north of here in VA. Nice thing about the Greensboro area is you are only 4 hours from the beach and just 1.5 - 2 hours from the mountains. I prefer the mountains myself.

Sorry, I don't know what an LEO is.
LEO = law enforcement officer. So a cop, in other words. The mountains down there are beautiful, but I think I'd prefer to be closer to the beach if I had a choice. Living in Wisconsin my whole life, nowhere near an ocean, makes me biased though lol.
As far as the car scene goes, the scene isn't as big as I'd like, but here in south Carolina you can do whatever you want to your car, no mandatory inspections at all for anything. It's almost impossible to have an illegal car on the road here. I'm in summerville, sc which is basically considered the charleston area. I'm about 30 minutes from the beach here but practically anywhere in the charleston area puts you withing a half hour of the beach. And the whole "yankee" thing is just a misconception, I may here some of us pick on Yankees but we are all just picking fun. And we aren't just a bunch of dumb ******** like the rest of the country perceives us haha. I would take a visit to charleston and see how you like it here, alot going on and always close to everything.
We spent a day in Charleston when we were there. Which I know is nowhere near enough time to take in the whole city. There's a lot we didn't get to do or see but it seemed like a great area. Progressive, but still with that southern feel. If that makes sense?

Glad to hear the Yankee thing is a misconception lol. I can throw jabs and pick on one with the best of 'em but it would steer me away if it was always serious.

Also.. I LOVE that there's no inspections, etc. I was worried about that. I guess I assumed anywhere near the ocean would be more strict. I want to still be able to modify my cars. Which is what drove me away from Cali. Well, that and the price tag on everything.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
cant beat the carolinas. inspection is pretty slack in nc and nonexistant in sc. people are nice for the most part in the cities and are nice anywhere you go in the country so long as you are respectful. we pick fun at yankees but dont dislike them at all. we're all people down here. cant speak much on the LEO thing.

·
.....NObama.....
1,875 Posts
Carolinas are great. I live in Gastonia (just west of Charlotte) and love it here. Charlotte is full of Yankees (I am one myself.... from upstate NY originally) as is Raleigh. If you want big city, Charlotte is where it's at. It's 3.5 hours to Myrtle Beach from here, and 1.5 or so to Asheville. Just depends on what kind of atmosphere you are looking for. Asheville is a whole different atmosphere than Charlotte. If you have specific questions PM me I'll do my best to help you out.

I was actually just in Wisconsin last weekend. It was freakin cold. LOL. I left there it was 15 degrees, and it was 60 when I got home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts