Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got what's hopefully a small problem, but the symptoms are strange, I'm no mechanic and it's hard to search for... This is regarding my 2004 SVT @ 70k miles.

Driving at highway speeds about a week ago, I accidentally over-rev'd the engine in between shifts. My recollection is fuzzy, I don't believe I grabbed the wrong gear and mechanically over-rev'd, I think I just throttled too much after a redline shift. Coming down the rev's immediately I heard an almost buzzy, sort of grinding noise. No CEL, no loss of power. For the next couple days I heard it at rev's around 4.5k, and had therefor kept it under there. Last time I drove the car, I was noticing extra noise from the engine under load at any RPM. Still no CEL, or oil light. Not leaking any fluids. I checked on the dipstick wondering if I shredded the gears in the oil pump somehow, and didnt see any metal shavings but I didn't actually change out the oil so I'm not positive.

A friend as suggested maybe I did blow up the oil pump, knowing that the gears are cintered metal and reach some destructive harmonic at high RPM. I'm hoping this isnt the case, because that would suggest to me I've been hearing bearing noise from oil starvation, and probably bought myself a new engine.

Thoughts? Thanks..

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
to me, the buzzing sounds like throw out bearing maybe..........but then again you're not touching the clutch or anything at that point, are you?

·
FF God of South FL
2,417 Posts
kinda sounds like a tranny problem

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I posted a response on [FJ], but ill copy and paste it here incase you check here first...
I would imagine you had to grab a wrong gear, because when I had my 2002, My hand slipped off the recently conditioned shift knob trying to shift 1-2 near redline and I banged up against the rev limiter. Because of that (unless you have tuned to have NO rev limiter) it seems you must have hit a wrong gear...just my theory. I'm not sure what could be causing your issue though, hopefully nothing in the reciprocating assy.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ Cars up to this point, we'll be sure to let you know when that changes though.

I hadn't considered something in the trans. I'm less than excited about pulling the trans and inspecting for damages.. But yes I am off the clutch completely when I hear the noise. I'm going to get a reading on oil pressure and change the oil to look for shavings, and work from there.

If, say, my flywheel explodes and comes out the trans housing, I'll know it wasn't a bearing!

Thanks...

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
rod bearing bro im sorry if it keeps up you will seize the crank and buy a new engine. better take it in to drop the pan to see what might be hiding in there.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
^^ If he spun a rod bearing, the noise would be getting worse, and after about 5 mins max of driving it would have eaten the bearing. You would see that in the oil. If it was a problem in the motor, I think it would have shown itself after a week of driving it. Especially if it hit 4.5k once in a while. A rod that is eating the bearing wouldnt last this long.
My friends and i had a project wagon we named the "Hell-Camino" that spun a bearing and about 30 mins of driving later the rod was laying on the hood after a very violent exit from the block.

I also vote for tranny or throw out bearing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts