Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I’m driving, going about 5 mph rounding a corner in a neighborhood and my car stalls. It’s odd, but I didn’t think too much of it and coasted through the corner then turned the ignition, instead of starting I hear a BOOM and a puff of smoke comes out of under the hood. I quickly take it down the street (at which point it sounds like the header blew open, it was LOUD) and park it so I can have it towed. While I’m waiting for the tow truck, I pop the hood and notice the intake manifold has blown off the motor!! Obviously, not gonna be driving this thing until it’s fixed...was thinking timing belt or spark plugs/wires/coil. I have the tow truck take it to a shop who says the engine is toast.
1. Could a backfire through the intake manifold be an effect of the engine blowing up?
2. This one is serious....is anyone interested in a Black 2004 SVTF 3 door with a possibly blown up engine?
I’d really like to keep it as a project car, but I have no where to keep it while I work on it/store it until I get around to it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
A long time ago I had a different model car that I drove up to a stoplight, was idling normally, then it just died, and the timing belt had let go on it, fortunately for me. That's what your experience reminds me of except, of course, yours blew up;) when you attempted re-start. Can't be 100% sure that your timing belt/engine is toast, but pretty easy to check it to verify. The svc interval is 120K miles per Ford on the SVT timing belt/tensioner/idler...etc, so if it hasn't been done before the engine very well may be toast, but I wouldn't jump straight to conclusions w/o verifying. I mean the intake plenum is plastic, and even the throttle body was made of plastic, and some crazy stuff can happen if an engine backfires like that, which can be related to other systemic issues.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Of course, I hope the engine is not 'toast' for your sake as these cars are super fun to drive, but it sounds like you are pragmatically thinking it's time to 'move-on'. So just for grins how's about posting some pics under hood and around the car and providing some details like the mileage and general condition/maintenance of the car, and whether the timing belt has ever been changed prior. Also, I'm sure a lot of folks might be interested in having either a 'parts car' or project SVT, if the price is right, myself included. It'd be nice to know what city/state you reside in also as owners closer to you are much more likely to be interested than those far, far away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply!! I bought the car with about 128,000 miles on it and never thought to ask the previous owner about the timing belt maintenance as he said he only had it for a few months and was actually just an independent dealer. I was caught up in the excitement of having found a SVT as it was one of those "I'd like to own some day" cars....it has 145,000 miles on it now and the timing belt has not done under my ownership.

I didn't mean to imply I was ready to 'move-on' as I really would like to get the car back up and running because as you said, it's SUPER fun to drive. I'm still in the "I don't know what to do" phase right now. I will try to get some pictures and add them to this thread, as the car is back home as of this morning. Home happens to be in Las Vegas, NV as well.

·
FF Affiliate
30,866 Posts
Is the timing belt still on the engine ? If it is I would do a compression test , Compression test should come up 90-105 psi lets start there

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts