Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed some grease on my car both inside the fender well and on the body. I'm not sure if it came from some that was in the road or it could be a bearing. It was black and it smeared down the body. I've cleaned it off so it wouldn't harm the paint.

So are the wheel bearings packed with grease? I'll probably take it to the dealer to be sure there is nothing wrong.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I noticed some grease on my car both inside the fender well and on the body. I'm not sure if it came from some that was in the road or it could be a bearing. It was black and it smeared down the body. I've cleaned it off so it wouldn't harm the paint.

So are the wheel bearings packed with grease? I'll probably take it to the dealer to be sure there is nothing wrong.
Could be a CV boot. Had one fail on an car of mine many moons ago and it did the same thing.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
A CV boot failing is going to spread grease around under the car, not where the tire is.. (much).
I would say you probably ran over someone else's CV boot fail!

But it would be right to have your own one's checked to be certain.

And wheel bearings really never 'blow out' grease.. Maybe in the old days when one could actually add grease. but not anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts