Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I just picked up a 2003 se 5 speed wagon a couple days ago and have noticed an odd sound. the sound only shows up when the car is in gear and accelerating. when it is in neutral and I rev it up no sound. ummmmmm it kinda sounds like a gearing noise? idk is this a normal sound? do you think it could be a throw out bearing or something else?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
doesn't sound like a TOB to me. whats the fluid level like? on level ground pul the fill plug and put your finger or something in there the fluid should be like 1-5mm bellow the plug.

unless they could prove its been changed i would just change it so you know its got good fluid.

and from this i assume it increases with rpm. not sure what a gearing noise is. is it a ticking, rattle, clunk, grinding, popping?

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
I need a little better explanation of the noise, but it does sound like the transmission might be low on fluid. You can use 75/90 fully synthetic gear oil. That's very similar to what Ford uses. Use only fully synthetic fluid.

Throwout bearings typically scream when you push the clutch pedal down and the bearing is doing it's job.

There is a rattle associated with this design. What happens is that the metal bearing separates from the plastic slave cylinder, and rattles against the pressure plate. To see if this is similar to the noise you're hearing, then put the transmission in N with the engine idling and release the clutch pedal. You'll hear a rattling, slight knocking, now push the clutch pedal down, the noise should go away. If that's your noise, then yes, that is the throwout bearing. I've never heard it while in gear accelerating though, so that's different, but as long as you can press the clutch pedal down and it disappears, then you're ok.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I notice the same thing on my car and my uncles both zx3 cars. Seems to be normal. I have been waiting for a post on this. It s almost like a rattling sound as you accelerate at lower rpms mostly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's what I was thinking. it maybe low on fluid. this weekend I'm gunna change all the fluids just for piece of mind. by the sounds of things and driving it today I'm starting to think it's probably not a throw out bearing. there's no vibrations, shimmies, and it only makes the sound when in gear and moving. thanks for all the input. I'll let you guys know after changing the fluids if that helps.

It s almost like a rattling sound as you accelerate at lower rpms mostly.
ya kinda like that. lol I still say more so of a gearing noise

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i don't think its normal. my 00 ZTS 5 speed and my 04 ZX5 5 speed, don't make weird sounds when i accelerate.

still have no idea what a gearing sound is. since you never explained the sound.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
OOOOH that's what you're hearing. Yeah, at really low rpms, like if you're in 2nd gear, and nearly come to a stop, then take off again you might hear it under a heavy load. I have no idea exactly what that is, but most cars do it when you put the engine under a heavy load and try to accelerate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts