Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I tried searching but am in a hurry and couldn't find what I want.

There is an `03 Siver SVT for sale at a local dealer for $10,990 with 51,500 miles on it. I drove it an it seemed to run pretty well. Nice solid feel, didn't get to drive it much but it felt tighter than my `02 GTI, although not as much punch.New tires and brakes. Had a sunroof, heated seats, traction control, 6 disc changer and what the dealer said were european headlights. My question is, what did he mean? I saw some posts that mention a euro package but couldn't find what that meant. Also, it had to areas on the hatch that were missing paint and starting to get some rust. Nothing serious just been exposed for as while I guess. Is paint quality a common issue on these cars?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Steve

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
That's a shit price for the mileage, make them refinish the back if you want to buy it or talk them down by about 1500-2000.

Euro headlights mean one of two things, HIDs or ST170s, just different looks on the front of the car. If they are HIDs those are the xenon lights that came with the european appearance package. It should have all black leather recaros inside if that's the case.

If they are ST170 lights they are just the european Focus ST170 (exact counterpart to the SVT Focus) with slight styling differences.

HID:

ST170:

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
what color, and was the interior solid black, or did it have red or blue inserts? ALL black, then it's a EAP SVT.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response...Not all leater, red inserts. It definitely had the HID lights though. Were they an option on thier own or was it modded?

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Sunroof
HID's
Audiophile stereo
traction control/heated seats

^^OPTIONS^^

it's a normal SVT, with all options except the EAP, wich come with all those PLUS:

Recaro seats
all black leather interior
dark argent rims

[thumb]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfect HaveBlue83,

Silver was the color. I'm not crazy about the mileage, but I drive an average amount (1000 a month), so not too concerned if I can get it cheaper. Any common problems I should look for?

·
Registered
92 Posts
i got my svt with 16k miles for $12.5k and i have the EAP package on my car, which is everything listed above by haveblue83 just to give you an idea of price

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Silver with red inserts is the rarest (excluding Euros) of the SVTFs..

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
^ Really? I feel honored to have mine then [:)]

I wouldn't get too worked up on the mileage, but there are a few things I'm a little surprised nobody's mentioned yet;

First off, general SVT advice, if you take it for another drive CHECK THAT CLUTCH, at 51k the OEM clutch, if not replaced, is very possibly on its way out. Worst case, its been on its way out for a while, which can damage the transaxle. After you drive it for a bit, put it in neutral and let up on the clutch, turn off the radio and listen for a knocking, rattling noise from the engine bay. I hear mine clearest inside the car w/ the windows up. It means the flywheel is trying to come apart (slight exaggeration, but only by just), which is a $1000+ job. Checking the grab wouldnt be a bad idea either, best test I've heard of so far has been drive the car at a steady (and relativly slow) speed in a high gear; mark the RPM mentally; clutch, rev to ~2k higher; let up on clutch quickly, note the engagement. If you havent driven a car with a dying clutch before, it should match back with the old RPM almost instantly and send a shunt thru the chassis. Lag in this process means a slipping clutch.

Also, rust? On an 03? I've only seen rust in 2 general examples on Foci so far; 2000-era models with a lot of wear, and cars that have seen body work and a substandard respray. Did you check the carfax? CD Silver is easy to paint match, so you wont be able to tell from that, but I'd check real seriously to see if this car's been in an accident. The OEM paint process was no [insert High-end make] job, but they did a good job of it, with some excellent and very toxic primer, I think 3 seperate sprays and then an extensive clearcoating, paint failure is not a typical focus problem I've ever heard of.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info guys. I ended up passing on this particular SVT, but am going to keep my eye open for others as I liked my first drive in one. There is a Black with red inserts 30,000 miles for $13,997 and a silver with the euro package (at least I think, one of the pics showed the interior with real nice all back leather seats, it has 30,000 mile and the price is 13,700 or there abouts. Both are `03s. Its funny when I called about the black one I found it using the ford website and it said to call for pricing. I emailed for the price and they came back with $15,998. I then googled the dealership and got there "personal" website that had it listed for $13,997. KBB suggested retail was around 12,500. Does that seem reasonable for either one?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Darth Focus said:
Silver with red inserts is the rarest (excluding Euros) of the SVTFs..
Not sure where you gathered this info from but silver with red is not the rarest of the non-euros. Especially for 2003. There were only 100 3 door silver with blue SVTf cars built that year and there were 616 silver with red. For all 3 production years there were 1090 silver with blue and 1264 silver with red (again this is only 3 door models).

Rare non-euros (3 doors only) would include a 2003 black with blue of which only 63 were built or the already mentioned 2003 silver with blue. 2004 black with blue only saw 102 so it could also be considered rare. 2004 silver with red only 135...but that's pushing the number up a bit.

I have moved the SVT production numbers to an Excel spreadsheet for easy reference and I have any combination where 100 or less were built highlighted. I'd like to get this spreadsheet to the right person so it can be part of the sticky post but I'm not sure who that would be??

Gary

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
Check out the link in my signature to give you an idea of how much people are paying.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I bought one! The `03 I looked with the couple of rust spots. They agreed to repair and I got it for $10,489. Would have gotten cheaper but my trade blew a water pump on the way to the dealer! Fun little car.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
zx5go said:
Not sure where you gathered this info from but silver with red is not the rarest of the non-euros. Especially for 2003. There were only 100 3 door silver with blue SVTf cars built that year and there were 616 silver with red. For all 3 production years there were 1090 silver with blue and 1264 silver with red (again this is only 3 door models).

Rare non-euros (3 doors only) would include a 2003 black with blue of which only 63 were built or the already mentioned 2003 silver with blue. 2004 black with blue only saw 102 so it could also be considered rare. 2004 silver with red only 135...but that's pushing the number up a bit.

I have moved the SVT production numbers to an Excel spreadsheet for easy reference and I have any combination where 100 or less were built highlighted. I'd like to get this spreadsheet to the right person so it can be part of the sticky post but I'm not sure who that would be??

Gary
hard work has already been done[thumb] Doug made a sticky post. i'm suprised you havn't seen it yet... it's stickied at the top of the svt forums? either way click my build number in my signiture to take you to that post.

another guess to as if it is the EAP. the seats that are all black have Recaro on them [thumb]

**added**
from what others usually pay, seems like you did overpay? also about the paint job, where was the rust comming at? i've never heard of any paint problems with the focus' unless the dipshits at the dealer has to repaint it, like the ones here [:D] it is a great little car and have fun with it. for the price... did you at least get any kind of warrenty with it[eek]

·
Registered
137 Posts
OrangeSVTguy said:
hard work has already been done[thumb] Doug made a sticky post. i'm suprised you havn't seen it yet... it's stickied at the top of the svt forums? either way click my build number in my signiture to take you to that post.

another guess to as if it is the EAP. the seats that are all black have Recaro on them [thumb]

**added**
from what others usually pay, seems like you did overpay? also about the paint job, where was the rust comming at? i've never heard of any paint problems with the focus' unless the dipshits at the dealer has to repaint it, like the ones here [:D] it is a great little car and have fun with it. for the price... did you at least get any kind of warrenty with it[eek]
I've seen the sticky, but a spreadsheet format is much easier to use.

Gary

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^ I did get your spreadsheet...Looks nice. [;)]
The problem is, there's no way to insert a spreadsheet in a thread.
In addition, all formatting is lost and it ends up in a jumbled mess.

Now, if someone wants to host it...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Considering my trade-in blew a water pump on the way to the dealer Im pretty pleased with the price. It was purchased in 2/04, so it still has coverage until 2/09 or 100,000 miles. They are going to fix the little rust spots. I made a big deal out of the rust because one spot is at the edge of the glass. The other spot is next to the hatch handle. I know it's not the euro package because of the seats. From what I've learned it's got the standard options: heated seats, traction control, disc changer and the HID lights.

Does anyone know the original MSRP for the `03 SVT with the options I have?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^The only other option I have in addition to what you stated above is the moonroof.
Suggested MSRP for mine (04) was $21,490.
The moonroof option was $595.
So, I'd imagine yours should have come in darn close to $20,895.

Oh, when you say "disk changer", is it the 6-disk Audiophile package?
^^^It'll say "9006 Audiophile" on the unit itself, and will have a subwoofer in the rear cargo area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts