Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i had a quart or quart and a half of valvoline max life in my garage. it is
10w30 and i thought that would be good for my car. After i put that in there i just thought to look in my manual for what type of gas they recommended(i know a bad time to look haha) and i noticed that they recommended 5w20.

I went and bought the valvoline convential 5w20 since they didnt have any in the max life.

i plan on getting all the same fluid next oil change. But was that a good thing to do or a bad thing to do, like will it mess anything up? What do yall think i should put in the car? Brand and all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
the SVT takes 5w30. i use Mobil 1.

the regular focus manual states 5w20 but the smaller svt manual states 5w30.

4.5qts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
why not go to walmart and buy some motorcraft 5w30 for your svt- they do have full synthetic or synthetic blend- the same stuff the dealership uses, and they have the motorcraft oil filters (i think part #2005).

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
pbeam, how many miles on your car? Maxlife is good for over 75k and for older vehicles, but in the SVT you will get better results from using a good synthetic 5w-30. I use Amsoil products usually but tried Castrol Syntec this change because there is no local distributor of Amsoil that I've found in SECT. I got 5qt of Syntec at Wallyworld along with the FL-2005 Motorcraft filter for about $25.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
10w20 may be bad, but as long as ur 30 weight, you will have plenty viscous oil!! though, it would be better to change it

·
Registered
921 Posts
German Castrol 0W-30. The bottle will say European Formula and the back label will say Made in Germany. Tested at the Nurburgring and good enough for the Zetec.

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
0w-30 Really? Wow....

As far as using the heavier weight.... my mechanic (when he was super poor) just used plain ol machine oil in his focus (Or so he tells me) with No problems..... but then again I wouldn't ever do it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pbeam, how many miles on your car? Maxlife is good for over 75k and for older vehicles, but in the SVT you will get better results from using a good synthetic 5w-30. I use Amsoil products usually but tried Castrol Syntec this change because there is no local distributor of Amsoil that I've found in SECT. I got 5qt of Syntec at Wallyworld along with the FL-2005 Motorcraft filter for about $25.
well my focus has 103,900 miles. the guy that owned it before me must have driven on the highway alot or something.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
You'll be fine.

The key word here is "recommended".

If it was colder, I might be concerned, but you have time.

You can either swap it out or wait until your next oil change interval.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I agree, you should be fine until your next oil change.... alot of us turbo guys run 10w30 without any side effects at all.

·
Registered
347 Posts
has any of you's heard anything good about that Royal Purple full synthetic stuff? im considering a change if so. otherwise ill stick to mobil 1

·
Registered
784 Posts
is that really the reason? i heard that it wasnt good but never knew why.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i heard it was better than mobil 1, because of its "history", thats why im asking

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
RP is supposed to be some really good stuff. I'm not a big Mobil 1 fan because they seem to spend way too much marketing and independent tests have shown their oil isn't quite as good as some other for ultimate protection. That being said, I'd take a synthetic > convention anyday

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
I wouldn't go driving around until the car is warmed up with a 10 cold weight oil in there. Otherwise, you'll be fine.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
While not advisable (why would you want to?) to switch back and forth between synthetic and conventional, there really is no issue.

To my knowledge, there is no documented evidence that doing so will cause engine damage.

I personally am a big, BIG fan of Mobil 1. I've been using it for nearly 15 years and won't use anything else.

All of my cars that had track time went to at LEAST 115K miles. That's a hard life...

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
All oils, regardless of synthetic or not, have seal conditioners in them which help keep seals and gaskets soft and in good working order. As weeasp said switching back and forth shouldn't create any issues at all.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i think whether or not the car comes factory with mobil 1 or equivilant is what really matters, if the car doesn't come with synthetic you have to let the rings seat b4 you can go to synthetic. if you don't, and you buy a new car, switch to synthetic, and run tracks and fast speeds, the rings wont be set and you'll eventually start burning oil due to "over slippery cylander" walls. but thats just what i know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts