Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if a exhaust pipe is sanded down without being primed. is there fatal consequences? or just chances of rust very soon?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
how far? are you just brushing the tip? whats hte reasoning? i mean, you can do it, but ya, it can just rust faster.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i had used a wire tip brush on my grinder and jus took the loose crap off down to the metal to prep for priming. then decided priming is a little out of my budget at the moment. its only about a six inch section maybe a little more but once put together about 50% maybe more will be unexposed. just wanted to make sure it wasn a huge mistake and that rust was all i gotta worry bout

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Well , just get a can of some VHT high temp header paint. Cant be more then 5-7 bucks. It's better than leaving It bare. Any parts store will have it.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
shouldn't have to prime it. i just sanded mine and coated it with BBQ satin black paint. been like that for 2 years and no rust on it yet
its going to rust from the inside, but will look good till it falls off.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, im not going to be priming or painting any time soon. i just wanted to make sure since that piece of the pipe is bare now that im not going to have any issues more then just rust. i can live wit rust for the time being. i was just going to prime it cuz its easier and i like the look of it. but found out that i have to bake it first before i can put it on the car. so its going to have to wait for awhile

·
Registered
520 Posts
BBQ paint = no baking needed. will rust internally first anyway.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so you all have said bbq paint. now is this the kind of paint that would be used on a grill? like actually bbq paint?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ya from Homey D. The kind you would paint a BBQ Grill with. or at carquest they had header paint for like $8 in several colors this weekend. again no baking.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the exhaust is on. i didn prime or paint it just put it on. but now i noticed that with my ac on its sucking more gas then usual. what could be causing that? im thinkin its due to heat, the fact that ac sucks gas anyway, and that my car had been runnin for eight months with four feet of pipe and now a side exit exhaust. could that be my prob or something else?

·
Registered
520 Posts
what did you just put on for exhaust parts?
Header? muffler?
Need more info please.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
as of now iv got my cat (stock) four foot pipe off the cat a forty five degree pipe, an 18" straight pipe off that then a chrome tip. the forty five is a piece off my stock piping so its mandrel bent. im going tonight to (HOPEFULLY) buy a forty five from orielly that way im not using the old rusty pipe from the old exhaust and im thinkin itll help with the issue possiblly.

·
Registered
520 Posts
no just added mufflers/resonators/cats ? was the piping that you just added smaller in diameter? Don't sound like a gas sucker. are you running a short ram intake? could be making more engine cabin heat? Don't see anything that would be a fuel hog.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no just straight piping. the only thing i can think is the 45 from my old exhaust has a hole in it from where it was welded and im guessing that could be leaking enough to make a difference. iv got the new pipe i bought last night so ill put that on tomorrow and see if it helps its not mandrel bent but at this point im not too worried about that

1 - 14 of 14 Posts