Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a 1,300 miles excursion from NC through all of GA I started noticing a knock under the passenger side floor board. The knock occurs when under aggressive acceleration (getting on the interstate) from 1-35~MPH. The knock happens in a particular interval depending on the speed, so it is something turning. After breaking the 35 MPH threshold, the knock goes away. I can't feel anything wrong through the steering wheel at any speed, and it doesn't affect the ride in any noticeable way (other than the knocking below 35). I took it to a family mechanic to have it looked over, and he was certain it was a CV joint as to the movement of the wheel when on jacks. However he couldn't give me any details on what all I need/should replace. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ballpark costs? I spent 3 grand on the car, and really don't want to spend 3 grand fixing it [:(]

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
I have some advice for ya. I had a similiar problem. I just assumed it was the cv axle. i bought a right front CV axle (around 70) at advanced auto and put it in my car. I assumed that was the problem because the bearings were shot. I went to ddrive the car again and there was still a noise. My friend looked at it and realized the coil spring was angled really funny. So I bought a new bearing plate. The old one was shot. While we were taking the coil spring out I realized that the coil spring was actually broken in the middle, and the previous owner tried to weld it and wrap tape around it. I went to look up buying a new coil, and I found a letter from ford saying there was a recall. 00-04 Foci with 150,000 miles or less can get this problem fixed for freee at a ford dealer as long as it has been within 10 years. My car is 10 years old and a couple months....but it goes from when the car was first bought. So I had like a week to spare :) lol I see your car is a 2002. So you should be fine as long as you are under 150k. I am waiting for a call back today to see if they can just give me the parts for free. I dont know if this is your problem, but you might want to check it out!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts