Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally tried posting this in the MK3 section but days in still no approval so I am going to try here.
So my 2012 SE popped the #1 cylinder misfire code. So not thinking much of it since it has 172k+ on it I bought a set of plugs. Got off work and went to change the plugs and the #1 cylinder plug well and coil boot were full of water. So I cleaned it all out and checked the coolant reservoir to find it was filled with water. Apparently last owner was too cheap for coolant. I reinstalled the coils and ran the car for 10-15 mins and then checked the coil again and it was wet. So I'm assuming that this means there's a crack in the head around the plug hole? A friend of mine thought maybe the valve cover seal around the plug well could be faulty. To me the only thing under the valve cover should be oil. Ran a block tester with a no crack result. Trying to figure it out so I can daily drive the focus again as my truck sucks diesel like it's going out of style.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,506 Posts
Water is only going to come from two sources...either the block/head, or externally such as washing the engine. You are correct about the valve covers...only oil there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought. I have the timing pins and plate on order. Plan to pull the head either this weekend or next to get it pressure tested. Guys at freedom racing said that the block is pretty common for this issue as well due to the way it's machined around the #1 and #2 cylinder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts