Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, just curious, are CAM gears and pulleys worth the install? what exactly do they do and how much HP gain can you get from them? im thinking about maybe getting some and having the local performance shop do it, cause it looks kinda out of my league as far as install. thanks let me know!!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
cam gears are worth the install and the cost if you have aftermarket cams. cam gears
advance or retard the timing of the intake and exhaust cams.

·
Registered
958 Posts
unless u have aftermarket cams then i wouldnt spend money on it

·
Registered
121 Posts
Im doing a head build up with new FR Stage II cams and I had to change my entire valve train. All new springs, retainres, keepers, and most importantly the followers (to set the lash). Its a domino effect. I got the parts from McNews and they have been soo much help. Cams should make a pretty big difference. If your going to put them in yourself, you had better know what your doing in there. Its no basic bolt on by any means.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The install is the easy part of this. The hard part is making it all come toghter. If you need help P.M. me..

·
Registered
218 Posts
Naaahhhh...I have another take on this. I would say that cam gears make more power than the the average chip I see...even on a stocker...especially on a stocker.

Retard the exhaust cam a few to several degrees and you can see 5-8 horsepower. It doesn't idle as well, but it make a little bit more useable power. Most chips I see on milder cars...well, to put it nicely, it's hard to even tell they even do anything.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
^^^^ Do NOT listen to Joe^^^^ Cam gears will make more power than stock IF the timing is off from stock. Cams WILL make more power if they are better than stock, BIG if. Get a shifter and a thrttl body and install them first. These up grades you will/can use for many years and never look back on the money spent.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wow...wonder who's got more experience to know one way or the other?

Hmmmmmmm....how much power does that shifter give you? Got any dyno sheets?

Oh crap...I just noticed that you have more stars than I do...LOL...so you must be right. [thumb]

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Sorry Joe I re-read my post and I bashed ya a bit... But seriously let em learn to drive the car then go for power. To answer the original question,,, Cam gears will help dial in the timing for the best prefomance for your motor. They make it easy to adjust the cams rather than taking the top end apart every time you want to change your timing. Our motors are notorious for being a bit off time because of a few factors. The cams have no keyway or slot for the cam gears to sit on. The results are when the cam gears are tightened from the factory they tend to move a little throwing the timing around. Adjustable gears are good If you do want to have perfect timing then this is the easy way to get it done.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Actually, they're easier to get right BECAUSE they have no keys. If you do enough DOHC motors, you'll see that you always end up a part of a tooth off here or there due to production tolerances in the parts. On the Zetec and the the Duratec, that's not an issue...make it right, then bolt the gears wherever they are. If you can read and you have basic skills and tools, it's spot-on every time.

As to whether gears help on a stock car...which was the issue at hand...they can and do help. Of course it's not going to be a huge thing, but it's as big a help as many other mods I see being done and it's no different than modifying the cam timing through other means, such as buying new cams. That's one of the great things about DOHC, the cam timing options and flexibility.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
[pray] We all build the same thing just a bit different style. The other issue is the crank timing. You can buy a pin or like I did make one to hold the bottom end still while moving around your timing.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
One thing to bear in mind is that there was no unified cam timing on the Focus...depending on how bad your cams have been timed, you could see a significant change with cam gears and a dyno session. Of course, some cars did leave the factory (by random chance, of course) with good timing so its a crap shoot if you'll actually benefit from gears and how big your gains will be, but given how integral they are to tuning after you get past bolt-ons, you really can't go wrong with them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think you guys are missing the point. Just because there are no keys...that doesn't mean they're less accurately timed than other motors. if anything, they're more accurately timed that way, because you don't have additive errors coming from mis-drilled locating pins, belt variations, keyway variations and all the rest.

The cams are positively located in space, so is the crank. That relationship is perfect...or as perfect as it can possibly be...and it doesn't depend on the construction of the timing components to be that way. It doesn't matter how the gear is drilled, it doesn't matter how the crank key is broached or how long the belt is. Of course you can screw it up if you don't bother to learn how to do it right, but the factory does it right.

You just have to get your head around the fact that the lack of pins or keys makes it MORE accurate, not less.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Joe:
I agree with you. I have built many motors of many makes. 90% of them do have key-ways and pins. And while 95% of the people on here do not understand what a crank key is little lone know when a crank is broaced, or how to install cam gears or cams. I was just trying to help a little. Quote "Get a shifter and a thrttl body and install them first. These up grades you will/can use for many years and never look back on the money spent." I feel his money would be better spent in this area rather than just a few h.p. from the gears. The up-grades I listed will help him in the future with many other mods, then put on the cams and gears and go to the dyno and get them adjusted.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Cam gears wouldn't help later on?

And anyways...I bet the amount of power you'd get from dialing a set of stock cams would be in the same ballpark as a larger throttlebody. Throttlebodies and short shifters are mods that make you feel like you're going faster, but by themselves, they don't do anything...especially the short shifter.

I don't think it's all that clear that any of them are such an obvious choice. It's all a journey and you can start it from many different onramps.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have intake, catback, UDP, and will be purchasing a header in the near future.

And i was thinking about FR stage 2 cams and cam gears next,

Any ideas how much hp a stage 2 cam with some dyno runs will get me?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
turbo joe said:
And anyways...I bet the amount of power you'd get from dialing a set of stock cams would be in the same ballpark as a larger throttlebody. Throttlebodies and short shifters are mods that make you feel like you're going faster, but by themselves, they don't do anything...especially the short shifter.
I'd have to disagree with you on the point that cam gears on stock cams add little, if any, power. While that may be true on most other cars, what you have to bear in mind is that cam timing on one Zetec will differ radically from another. Ford chose to put forth as little effort as necessary on timing, and as a result its all over the map on just about every engine. While its possible that your car already has the optimal timing out of the factory, its very likely that getting cam gears tuned on a dyno, even with stock cams, will benefit you more than a TB or short-throw. Even if you don't add power, you could flatten your curve out considerably. Personally speaking, I'd rather have an even powerband than a spike at 3500, a plateau at 4000 and another spike at 5,000 (etc.) I recall someone having said that there was a huge difference between the two engines he had in his car, one of them pulled from 3,000 to redline, while the replacement he put in plateaued at 3,000 and 5,000.

And like I said, cam gears are a good mod regardless of what point you're at in building your engine. Even if you don't get much out of them at first, they'll be required as soon as you get past basic bolt-ons, so its not like you're wasting your money on something that you may have to take off later.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Again...you have to get your head around the idea/fact that not having pins makes them MORE accurate, not less.

It's simply misstating the case to say otherwise.

Further, you can tweak them a little bit here and there and HELP the powerband, not hurt it.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Its not like I'm making this up...there are documented cases of cams being so horribly timed out of the factory that it causes problems for the owner. Its not a question of is the hardware accurate, its a question of did Ford set the engines up on the cheap, or did they spend time on each one and made sure that every Zetec that left the factory was optimally-timed? Obviously they didn't spend time to ensure that the engines left the factory optimally timed, so that narrows down the options to they did it as quickly and as cheaply as possible, at the expense of performance. Are cam gears with stock cams going to net ground-breaking gains? No...but there is at least the potential for more gains than a TB or STS.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts