Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new here but I've had my Focus for a little over 9 years now. It's a 2007 ZX3 with a 5 speed manual and 185k miles. I'm having an issue when braking where it feels like the ABS is kicking in and the pedal pushes back against my foot. This doesn't happen all the time but it will happen for a few miles and then my ABS light will turn on on the dash and my brakes will perform normally (other than ABS not kicking in at all). Before I take my car to a shop to have it looked at has anyone had a similar issue and know of any quick things to check? I'm a broke single dad with full custody of my 6 year old son so I would prefer not to waste a bunch of money at a shop if it's something I may be able to do myself.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
18,125 Posts
When light comes on the system is disabled I believe, and reverts to standard braking. Your ABS unit may be going bad or common to have just a bad wheel sensor do it.

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
755 Posts
Welcome to the site.
Have you tried to see of there's any codes being registered with a scanner? A major chain auto parts store can do it for free. If it registers a particular wheel or a general ABS fault it will help you narrow it down.
Agreed with amc49 that it's likely a wheel sensor or the module.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3, 2005 ZX5
378 Posts
Just delete it like i did.

·
Registered
755 Posts
"Deleting" it is not a great idea for multiple reasons. First, you make the car less safe to drive then originally designed. Second, you put yourself and passengers, in this case his 6 year old, in a less safe vehicle leaving them more open to harm. Third, you leave yourself open to a lawsuit or criminal charges if your passenger or a person in a car that you might hit gets injured or killed. ABS brakes are no different than seatbelts, airbags, or a child car seat as far as safety goes.

·
Registered
755 Posts
A scan should reveal the basic error code. It might tell you which wheel is the problem. It could be a bad plug connection at the sensor(corrosion or loose), a damaged sensor wire on the chassis or leading up into the engine compartment(also corrosion or physical damage), a bad pump or module, or gunk in the brake lines that's messing with the pump or actuators(old fluid).
Idk if auto parts stores will do their free scan for ABS codes. I'd ask them if they can scan for ABS. You might have to take it to real shop to have them scan it. You could just buy a decent ABS capable code scanner yourself and that would likely equal the cost of a shop scan.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3, 2005 ZX5
378 Posts
"Deleting" it is not a great idea for multiple reasons. First, you make the car less safe to drive then originally designed. Second, you put yourself and passengers, in this case his 6 year old, in a less safe vehicle leaving them more open to harm. Third, you leave yourself open to a lawsuit or criminal charges if your passenger or a person in a car that you might hit gets injured or killed. ABS brakes are no different than seatbelts, airbags, or a child car seat as far as safety goes.
No, its not more dangerous. If you know anything about the mk1 focus. They had 3 options for this version.

With abs.
With ABS and Trac.
Without ABS and Without Trac.
I replaced mine with a master cylinder and metal lines that was for non ABS car and it has been fine. It wouldnt be ni less safe thah those other mk1s that came WITHOUT it from factory. But what do i know?

Just because you cant drive without nanny devices doesnt mean others cant.😏😉

·
Registered
755 Posts
No, its not more dangerous. If you know anything about the mk1 focus. They had 3 options for this version.

With abs.
With ABS and Trac.
Without ABS and Without Trac.
I replaced mine with a master cylinder and metal lines that was for non ABS car and it has been fine. It wouldnt be ni less safe thah those other mk1s that came WITHOUT it from factory. But what do i know?

Just because you cant drive without nanny devices doesnt mean others cant.😏😉
Actually, yes it is MORE dangerous without ABS. Your statement is ignorant, naive, and dangerous. Do what you want with yourself in your own car but do NOT try to persuade someone else to be in a more dangerous situation especially when they drive their young child in the car.
DethMayDie's car is EQUIPPED with ABS brakes therefore it is a safer vehicle to drive than the same Focus(like yours) without ABS and it doesn't matter if the MK1 had options for it or not. If an ABS brake system is functioning properly, with the pump, sensors, and the module then it only improves your braking in a panic stop and in the rain and ice. Properly working ABS brakes will out stop a non ABS car in every scenario except sometimes in relatively deep snow or gravel. If there's snow/gravel and there's quite a bit on the road for the average person it will only marginally increase the stopping distance but ABS will STILL retain much more basic vehicle control especially steering.
ABS brakes keep the wheel from locking up and can regulate the brake pressure with LOTS more accuracy and speed than any human being ever could. But I'm sure you can stop a car faster than the ABS module can lol. Which Marvel superhero are you?
I still own older and vintage cars without "nanny devices" and didn't have an ABS equipped vehicle until my 11th car dude. I almost certainly have driven many, many more miles in cars without ABS than you ever have.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3, 2005 ZX5
378 Posts
A scan should reveal the basic error code. It might tell you which wheel is the problem. It could be a bad plug connection at the sensor(corrosion or loose), a damaged sensor wire on the chassis or leading up into the engine compartment(also corrosion or physical damage), a bad pump or module, or gunk in the brake lines that's messing with the pump or actuators(old fluid).
Idk if auto parts stores will do their free scan for ABS codes. I'd ask them if they can scan for ABS. You might have to take it to real shop to have them scan it. You could just buy a decent ABS capable code scanner yourself and that would likely equal the cost of a shop scan.
Also a sxan tool can only tell you an error code for anything saved in the pcm. I replaced my ABS and Traction control in my car becauseit wasnt throwing and codes and no one could tell me the issue.

In reality the issue turned out to be a bad master cylinder.

But that doesnt matter now. 😉
Actually, yes it is MORE dangerous without ABS. Your statement is ignorant, naive, and dangerous. Do what you want with yourself in your own car but do NOT try to persuade someone else to be in a more dangerous situation especially when they drive their young child in the car.
DethMayDie's car is EQUIPPED with ABS brakes therefore it is a safer vehicle to drive than the same Focus(like yours) without ABS and it doesn't matter if the MK1 had options for it or not. If an ABS brake system is functioning properly, with the pump, sensors, and the module then it only improves your braking in a panic stop and in the rain and ice. Properly working ABS brakes will out stop a non ABS car in every scenario except sometimes in relatively deep snow or gravel. If there's snow/gravel and there's quite a bit on the road for the average person it will only marginally increase the stopping distance but ABS will STILL retain much more basic vehicle control especially steering.
ABS brakes keep the wheel from locking up and can regulate the brake pressure with LOTS more accuracy and speed than any human being ever could. But I'm sure you can stop a car faster than the ABS module can lol. Which Marvel superhero are you?
I still own older and vintage cars without "nanny devices" and didn't have an ABS equipped vehicle until my 11th car dude. I almost certainly have driven many, many more miles in cars without ABS than you ever have.
Than why are you crying about ABS?
You driven so many miles without it, and youre not dead than what are you pissing about?😉

From what i have felt and noticed, The focus from factory has very little difference between the braking without without the ABS. In fact the drive without the nanny devices males you have to be a better driver.

I have driven my kids in both my foci with no issues. But then again, i have been driving over 22 years🤷‍♂️

I think you just want to run your mouth an virtue signal jist how much a better person you are.

Your comments this whole time have been the ignorant ones.🤨

Reactions: zacautomotive

·
Registered
755 Posts
Than why are you crying about ABS?
You driven so many miles without it, and youre not dead than what are you pissing about?😉

From what i have felt and noticed, The focus from factory has very little difference between the braking without without the ABS. In fact the drive without the nanny devices males you have to be a better driver.

I have driven my kids in both my foci with no issues. But then again, i have been driving over 22 years🤷‍♂️

I think you just want to run your mouth an virtue signal jist how much a better person you are.

Your comments this whole time have been the ignorant ones.🤨
You speak like an obtuse little child. What exactly did I say that's ignorant?
You "ran your mouth" with your snide little "Just because you cant drive without nanny devices doesnt mean others cant." comment without knowing jack about my age(driven longer than you) or cars owned/own so YOU are the one that is trying to show yourself as the "better" person. I'm just not irresponsible like you are.
Your crappy scan tool was a cheap piece of junk. That's why you couldn't get any ABS codes from it if it was even throwing any. Only the better scan units will retrieve the ABS codes. If you didn't buy the cheapest pos that you could find and instead bought a quality unit then you would've known that.
Who's crying about ABS or "pissing" about it. I just said you can't beat the ABS and you haven't given any argument otherwise because there is none to give lol.
The OP wanted to fix his car properly and asked if there was something he could check himself before taking it to a shop. All you did was give him bad and reckless advice that would put him in legal jeopardy just as you did to yourself.
You're the type that has to find out the hard way that you can't outperform ABS brakes. Only a moron would think that they could. Hopefully, your kids or anyone else aren't in the car if you have an emergency stop on a turn and predictably lock your brakes. If they are and get hurt or worse then you'd be up for reckless endangerment or involuntary manslaughter. So, you never answered what's your superhero name?
Your "well nothing bad has happened yet" argument shows how little you care about anyone but yourself.

You gave him a thumbs up zacky boy so you obviously you agree that he can outperform ABS with his superhuman foot or maybe you think that you can lol.
There's too many people on this forum that are ignorant to a fault. It's truly pathetic. Going to any other car forum and comparing it to this one is like night and day with idiotic posts like this. Some of you live in a fantasy world.

·
Banned
706 Posts
There's too many people on this forum that are ignorant to a fault. It's truly pathetic. Going to any other car forum and comparing it to this one is like night and day with idiotic posts like this. Some of you live in a fantasy world.
At BITOG I got banned after only 4 posts. Maybe the stupidest Guinness World Record ever. Talk about pathetic mods. The world is falling apart.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3, 2005 ZX5
378 Posts
You speak like an obtuse little child. What exactly did I say that's ignorant?
You "ran your mouth" with your snide little "Just because you cant drive without nanny devices doesnt mean others cant." comment without knowing jack about my age(driven longer than you) or cars owned/own so YOU are the one that is trying to show yourself as the "better" person. I'm just not irresponsible like you are.
Your crappy scan tool was a cheap piece of junk. That's why you couldn't get any ABS codes from it if it was even throwing any. Only the better scan units will retrieve the ABS codes. If you didn't buy the cheapest pos that you could find and instead bought a quality unit then you would've known that.
Who's crying about ABS or "pissing" about it. I just said you can't beat the ABS and you haven't given any argument otherwise because there is none to give lol.
The OP wanted to fix his car properly and asked if there was something he could check himself before taking it to a shop. All you did was give him bad and reckless advice that would put him in legal jeopardy just as you did to yourself.
You're the type that has to find out the hard way that you can't outperform ABS brakes. Only a moron would think that they could. Hopefully, your kids or anyone else aren't in the car if you have an emergency stop on a turn and predictably lock your brakes. If they are and get hurt or worse then you'd be up for reckless endangerment or involuntary manslaughter. So, you never answered what's your superhero name?
Your "well nothing bad has happened yet" argument shows how little you care about anyone but yourself.

You gave him a thumbs up zacky boy so you obviously you agree that he can outperform ABS with his superhuman foot or maybe you think that you can lol.
Its not about caring about others. Its called learn to drive. I had offensive and defensive driving courses in the army.

Youre the only one living in a fantasy where you think nanny devices make you a better driver. Or because you dont like them means you dont care about others. Thats an ignorant thought process right there.

·
Banned
706 Posts
I would prefer not to waste a bunch of money at a shop if it's something I may be able to do myself.
I repalced my front left ABS sensor. Wasn't too hard but the connector would not fully seat without breaking the little clips. I had to wrap it with electrical tape to keep it in. Not an ideal repair, but it's held up for 6 months now. IDK if that will fix your issue, but those sensors can go bad. Mine did. The ABS light was on until I fixed it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Its not about caring about others. Its called learn to drive. I had offensive and defensive driving courses in the army.

Youre the only one living in a fantasy where you think nanny devices make you a better driver. Or because you dont like them means you dont care about others. Thats an ignorant thought process right there.
Lol, so what's your alter ego name? Super Brake Man? I mean you took driving courses so that must mean that you can react faster than an ABS computer. You're the only one on earth that can do that so tat makes you very special.
After pointing out that it's impossible to beat the ABS computer most people with even half of a brain would realize that they completely fooled themselves into thinking that they are a better driver without having ABS. But people like FocalDestruction delude themselves even after having it been made COMPLETELY obvious that they are NOT superhuman. You will NEVER come close to beating a properly working ABS brake system on a normal road. Find me ANY evidence to the contrary other than your warped perception of yourself.

As I said fantasy land...

·
Registered
2006 ZX3, 2005 ZX5
378 Posts
Lol, so what's your alter ego name? Super Brake Man? I mean you took driving courses so that must mean that you can react faster than an ABS computer. You're the only one on earth that can do that so tat makes you very special.
After pointing out that it's impossible to beat the ABS computer most people with even half of a brain would realize that they completely fooled themselves into thinking that they are a better driver without having ABS. But people like FocalDestruction delude themselves even after having it been made COMPLETELY obvious that they are NOT superhuman. You will NEVER come close to beating a properly working ABS brake system on a normal road. Find me ANY evidence to the contrary other than your warped perception of yourself.

As I said fantasy land...
Again, the only fantasy is the one you live in. I never said im faster than the computer, but electronics aret always better than human ability either.

They came from factory WITHOUT those nanny devices. Why are you still crying about my car? I drive my car almost 20,ooo miles a year and i have had a lot of near misses with deer in the wild and plenty of driving on country roads. I know my car. I can feel the way it handles and compared to the ZX5 that i had without ABS. I liked the way it took corners better.

Just because you're old and need those assists, doesnt mean everyone does🤷‍♂️🤣

Now go take your meds gramps and i hope youre not slowing down in the way you drive. There are studies that say if you drive slower now its a sign of dementia. 😉

·
Registered
755 Posts
Again, the only fantasy is the one you live in. I never said im faster than the computer, but electronics aret always better than human ability either.
No, you just suggested it multiple times and in the case of ABS it is always better than raw human ability in a non ABS car. Also, just to make something perfectly clear here you wrongly assumed that I'm a proponent of "nanny" devices in general. I'm definitely not. I'm very uncomfortable with the self driving cars that are already on the roads. You just thought that since I(along with most all other knowledgeable drivers on this planet) love the fact ABS exists, being one of the greatest made automotive safety features next to seat belts, that I like all the other newer stuff that's out there. You were wrong and you'll never find a post of me ever praising the extreme electronic babysitting features of most brand new cars.

I reposted your senseless earlier post to again point out how you think that non ABS cars can stop quicker in an extreme braking event that would lock up one or more tires whereas the ABS car would WAY outperform you trying to slowly(compared to a computer) regulate the brake pressure on your own. The second you lock up a tire you're already being outperformed by the ABS because you can NEVER respond as fast as it will and while you're concentrating on not loosing control while skidding the car into a ditch or the rear of the car in front of you the ABS car will allow you to maintain near normal control of the steering and will stop the car before you ever could in such a situation where ABS actually kicks in.
I can feel the way it handles and compared to the ZX5 that i had without ABS. I liked the way it took corners better.
You seem to think that ABS magically makes the car handle differently around corners or takes away from the driving experience somehow. It doesn't and that's not what it's there for Einstein. It simply keeps the wheels from locking up(you won't even know it's there if you're lucky enough to not ever have to stop very short) and in doing so allows you to maintain more control of the vehicle while stopping in a shorter distance. Your suspension is calibrated slightly differently. There wasn't one spring rate, stabilizer bar diameter, and strut/shock installed on every Focus lol.
I had offensive and defensive driving courses in the army.

Youre the only one living in a fantasy where you think nanny devices make you a better driver.
And again where you say that because you think that you're such an excellent driver that the ABS "nanny" device we're talking about is inferior to your "skills" aka superhuman abilities if you actually believe that you can stop a car faster than the ABS can.
You're an evidence and science denier obviously. EVERY study done shows that ABS will outbrake a non ABS car when a severe panic stop is attempted and it also ALWAYS shows that you keep way more steering control especially if it's in a turn. Go live your life in your ignorant bliss.
They came from factory WITHOUT those nanny devices. Why are you still crying about my car?
I could care less about your modified less safe to drive car. I do care about others on the road and my passengers though. I simply won't let you post nonsensical drivel unchecked that might put others at more risk of getting hurt which is exactly what you do if you disable the ABS.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have driven my kids in both my foci with no issues. But then again, i have been driving over 22 years
Just because you're old and need those assists, doesnt mean everyone does
Also, we're obviously within the same decade of life if you've been driving for 22 years... By your uneducated logic someone a few years older than you(less than 10) is considered old lol. That makes no real world sense at least as an adult and you're entirely by yourself if that's what you think. I mean for a 10 year old kid an 18 year old is considered old but that'd be thru a child's eyes. Though with your mind that makes sense.
Guess what you are? MIDDLE AGED, just like me. It's better to just accept that you're no longer a young guy dude instead of lying to yourself. You're not young. Deal with it.

·
Registered
18,125 Posts
Part of driving slower when you are older is finally recognizing that all along you were simply driving too fast to begin with. One begins to think more about the things that will cause you to cease to be. Maybe it was the heart attack that did it. Motorcycles and then cars for some 56 years now.

I for one disabled the ABS on my Contour when bought, it simply unnerved me with the feeling that the car did not stop fast enough. About the same time a lot of police departments were doing the same claiming the ABS was solidly causing more wrecks. With it disabled the car gave me much more confidence in stopping.

Did I fool myself? Maybe. Maybe the later systems like other things just worked 'better'. I don't have a clue as my Foci are both non-ABS. The ABS on my Nissans does seem to work better with a lot more transparency; I don't get that 'the car is not stopping' feeling with them.

I am very capable of handling a car in full tilt 4 wheel lock up braking with car trying to go way out of straight (done it more than once) but in no way do I think I'm faster than a computer could ever be. In rain the outcome could be wildly different and on ice I guarantee it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts